I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing a reel seat from a finished rod.
Posted by: Cory Leiman (207.195.86.---)
Date: August 31, 2015 09:28AM

Hello. I am trying to help a friend with a broken reel seat. I seen somewhere that you can sometimes boil the reel seat in water to try and losen a reel seat. Has anyone done this or what is the best method. The rod is just a cheap production rod and was asked to give it a try. The seat is a split grip style and the rear section is the issue. I would like to ask for some input on this as I have never done this and would like to see if I can get it done cleanly. Thanks for any help. Cory

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing a reel seat from a finished rod.
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2015 09:52AM

I take it it has guides on and a butt grip Even getting the seat off How do you put the new seat on
If the section moves You can probably re-glue it ???

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2015 09:55AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 31, 2015 10:04AM

Are you trying to save the reel seat or the rod?

Posted by: Linda Vance (---.wf.mt.gov)
Date: August 31, 2015 04:05PM

It is possible to enclose the reel seat in a plastic bag, tie it off with a rubber band, and submerge it in boiling water just until the heat transfer loosens the glue enough to pull the seat off (assuming the guides have been removed and you can pull the reel seat in the direction of the taper.) That said, too much heat can/will harm the blank. More importantly, this method works best with custom rods where the reel seat has been affixed using products like Rod Bond. Cheap production rods, especially those made in China, seem to have some kind of adhesive that resists heat. I have tried several times to get the reel seat off a broken Chinese rod, and have never had success with the boiling method. The only way I've been able to do it --which likely destroys the blank-- is to heat a disposable rattail file in the wood stove til it's red hot, and shove it into the blank. I've saved reel seats and handles that way (although I note you say yours is broken) but I would not count on the integrity of the rod blank after that kind of treatment.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2015 06:01PM

I find it just the opposite Rod bond is harder to get a seat off ( at least how I put them on )
Factory rods are easier Tips seats do not seem to be glued on even when they glue over a painted surface It sticks to the paint - but the paint does not stick to the blank I do it to the bare blank

Maybe I should build the way factory rods are built ---- No Way

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 01, 2015 10:10AM

The Rod is a two piece so only one guide will have to be removed. The seat is broken. I'm trying to save the blank. The Rod was given to me to try and repair. It's not so much about the repair but I like to try things like this on rods of no value so if the time arises I will have a good idea of how methods will work when I do need work on a rod of value. Thanks to all that took the time to reply. Cory

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: September 01, 2015 01:13PM

if the reel seat is broken, then cut the seat from top to bottom on opposite sides of the seat and use a screw driver to pry the two halves apart.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: September 07, 2015 09:27AM

Thanks to all for your input on this. Cory

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster