I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat slipping
Posted by: Adam Lancia (---.cable.teksavvy.com)
Date: August 31, 2015 08:31AM

Morning all. I was out fishing from shore yesterday and whie casting one of my baitcasters, I noticed the reel seat was slipping on the blank. I can twist it 360* around the blank and slide it up towards the first guide. This isn't an expensive rod nor does it hold significant sentimental value, making it a perfect candidate for a repair attempt by a new guy ;-) I have a seccond rod identical to this one and it hasn't started to slip... yet. I can only assume it will. So, how can I go about fixing the first rod and then ensuring it doesn't happen to the other one? Could I drill a 1/16" hole through the reel seat and blank and then use a roll pin to keep the reel seat located to the blank? It's a 7' 1" MH moderate fast 2 piece rod (a Rapala Sync, only available in Canada) so it's not flexing way down into the butt of the rod. Any other ideas? I like the way these rods cast though they are a little on the heavy side. I suppose if this one were unrepairable then I'd have to have my arm twisted to find a replacement... that would be horrible... :-D

I appreciate any help or advice you have to share. Thank you!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat slipping
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 31, 2015 08:44AM

Better to drill the hole, but inject liquid epoxy into it. Be very careful not to drill into the blank. Drill it on the bottom and it will be out of sight. Be generous with the amount of epoxy; you want to get a good area of contact of epoxy/blank/seat.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 31, 2015 12:29PM

Adam

If you can slide the seat up to the first guide, that means the area the seat fits on to should be exposed. Coat the area with thick epoxy and work the seat back and forth to get epoxy under the seat.
Set the seat, align with guides, clean up the area and let it sit until the epoxy cures. I don't there will be a need for a pin.

Good luck

John

Date: August 31, 2015 07:10PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I just tried to move the reel seat up to expose the reel seat section of the blank but the hook keeper is in the way (I don't like it anyways, it's like the ones on a Fenwick Aetos, I'd like a Kistler-type hook keeper). The rod isn't exactly a beauy queen so I'm just going to remove the hook keeper and see how far I can slide the reel seat up along the blank. When I rotated the seat, I saw a thin layer of epoxy on the blank: can I sand that down a bit (making sure I don't sand the blank of course) to give the new epoxy something to grab on to? I'll do a search about the best way to remove the hook keeper.

Thanks!

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 31, 2015 08:19PM

Yes you can sand the old epoxy down. Even if you nick the blank a little in this area, it won't matter.

Date: August 31, 2015 09:04PM

That's good. Judging by the seat slipping, I'm not sure how uniform an application of epoxy I'll find under there.

Will any 5 minute, 2 part epoxy be sufficient?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 01, 2015 10:29AM

All you can hope for is that some of the epoxy you inject will find and seep its way into any spaces or voids between the arbors/busings and seat interior. You're really not trying to completely fill the space between seat and blank. It won't take much to refasten the reel seat. Although it's not thought of as an absolutely permanent repair, it's often more than good enough to keep you on the water for awhile. Sometimes, for a long, long while.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: September 01, 2015 02:18PM

What I have done on a few Ugly Sticks with graphite seats that I own is make a few holes in the reel seat under where the reel sits.....mix up a good batch of epoxy.....NOT 5 MINUTE.....and inject it in there....and rotate the seat several times to spread the adhesive. They have stood up for years after that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster