I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Release agent on a turning mandrel
Posted by: Mark Warnke (---.oakharbor-wifi-1171.amplex.net)
Date: August 30, 2015 12:06PM

Is there any reason basic candle wax cannot be used as a release agent on a mandrel to get a completed grip off of it?
Thanks

Mark Warnke

Black Swamp Custom Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Release agent on a turning mandrel
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 30, 2015 12:08PM

Not really, but there are different types of waxes. I prefer regular paraffin which you can find at any grocery store. Your particular candles may suffice but if they're beeswax (not likely these days) you may find the grip a little harder to release.

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: August 30, 2015 12:11PM

No reason I know of. I used it for a couple of years until I switched to gluing cork with tightbond III.

Chris

Posted by: Mark Warnke (---.oakharbor-wifi-1171.amplex.net)
Date: August 30, 2015 12:15PM

I have used it once so far. will be doing #2 & #3 today. The first one worked quite well....it stayed gripped to the mandrel while turning, then removed relatively easily with a little bit of persuasion. I am using titebond 3 . I was worried the wax might allow it to break free from the mandrel easily.

Mark Warnke

Black Swamp Custom Rods

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 30, 2015 12:21PM

I used an old church beeswax candle, Just because I had it, I use tightbond III. Jaa

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2015 01:30PM

I don't like to use any release on the grip because when you remove the grip from the mandrel, there is still release material on the inside of the grip that may inhibit the gluing of the grip to the blank.

I ream all of my grips before I turn them, because it is just easier for me. Then, I just add tape as needed on the mandrel to size the mandrel for a press fit onto the mandrel for turning.

Be safe

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2015 04:27PM

I use the plumber's candles found in hardware stores, they're inexpensive.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 30, 2015 04:30PM

I build on threaded rod And no release needed They come off very easy

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jon Laterza (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2015 12:19AM

I use threaded rod as well, put some masking tape on end and chuck into cordless drill,comes right off. Then chuck mandrel into drill and put cork on, works great.

Posted by: Jon Laterza (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2015 12:19AM

I use threaded rod as well, put some masking tape on end and chuck into cordless drill,comes right off. Then chuck mandrel into drill and put cork on, works great.

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: August 31, 2015 08:37AM

I use a threaded rod for gluing up, but use plumber's Teflon tape to prevent sticking. I then move the grip to a turning mandrel for shaping.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 01, 2015 04:16PM

I use old used birthday candles on my cork mandrels - no problem!

Rog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster