I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hot stored PRO KOTE; thin and yellow
Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 29, 2015 11:44PM

So through searching and emailing Mudhole, I have been able to find the answer to my epoxy going pretty yellow. I am not overly concerned with that due to my research. However, I haven't been able to get a clear answer on the consistency of the stuff.

It is pretty fluid, whereas I seem to remember upon purchasing, that it was a bit thicker. If you gently shake it back and forth, it would behave similar to how you'd expect maybe half and half cream to act (i.e. not very viscous).

It has been stored in my garage for a good while in the valley in California, so we've had triple digit days. Should I toss it and get new?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hot stored PRO KOTE; thin and yellow
Posted by: Greg LaPolla (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: August 30, 2015 12:43AM

I live out near Riverside and have the same issue. I just finished up a thread master lite 8 oz kit and it was almost orange. Never had an issue. All epoxy will turn yellow over time. I now store it in cool dark place inside the house.

Date: August 30, 2015 01:34AM

Cool I live in Temecula. I bought a wooden dowel today and did a quick wrap. I tested out my CP so I'll see how that dries in the morning. The CP was a little lumpy. I stirred it in a mixing cup and then shook up the bottle real good. I let it sit for a bit before using on the test wrap because the instructions said not to shake. I'll test the epoxy tomorrow. I've started keeping mine indoors as well.

Wicked hot summer eh? Hopefully the El Niño expected this winter ends this drought.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 30, 2015 08:05AM

It will thicken back up a bit as you move it to a cooler temperature.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 30, 2015 12:28PM

Even in a cool dark place it will still turn yellow-orange I had a new unopened bottle in the basement 5-7 years and it changed color. Still works great Jaa

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 30, 2015 12:59PM

Randy,
I was stationed at the Lemoore Naval Air Station prior to retiring from the Marine Corps and understand your "heat" well. I never kept my stuff in the garage but in the house and still had the same issues as you are experiencing. I never noticed anything askew with the finished product once completed.

I would go ahead with what you have and not worry about it.

Tom

Date: August 30, 2015 02:16PM

Thanks guys! I think I'll go ahead and use it. The CP set nicely, though I do plan on getting the clear kind when I need more. I think it will be good.

I did a Dallas Cowboys color cross wrap and I really like it. Want to get it finished up so its out of harm's way. It was my second one. Next I'm going to try a multiple thread wrap to get more intricate patterns and then move into closed wraps...baby steps!

Thomas, I have five more years until 20. Not 100% sure what I'll do once I hit it though. I'm giving serious thought to doing closer to 25. I guess it all depends on how well I like doing what I do when the time comes.

Posted by: gabriele schieda (209.171.88.---)
Date: August 30, 2015 06:38PM

Use it, l live in Canada and it has yellowed too but when I mix it up its nice and clear. I love the stuff.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 30, 2015 07:02PM

Randy, you will know it when it is time!! It is usually not one of those things you think about but rather more of a sudden, "I've had my fill and it is time to move on". If you still love it at 20 why change it up. As long as you look forward to what you do and what you can do for others there is no reason to set it aside.

Take care and best of luck.
Tom

Date: August 30, 2015 07:24PM

Thanks fellas! Looking forward to getting it complete! I got the cross wrap sealed with CP and will epoxy...TBD
Semper fi!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster