I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crosswraps guide repair/replacememt
Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 29, 2015 08:20PM

Hello all, I recently did a cross wrap with 6 diamonds. I was going to have the securing wrap become the under wrap for my first guide. This is my first double footed guide job. I ended up cutting the cross wrap to 5 diamonds and separating the cross wrap and guide wrap. I thought I might need to replace that guide one day. I didn't get the cheapest, but not the greatest guides either.

So my question is: if you ever need to repair a guide, and the under wrap for the guide is either the cross wrap or the securing wrap for the cross wrap, what do you do? Or do you just fork out more money for better guides hat probably last longer?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crosswraps guide repair/replacememt
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 29, 2015 08:57PM

Even the best guide can be damaged by rough handling or abuse, which is, in fact, the reason for most any guide failure.

So the best thing to do is not extend the diamond onto the guide foot.

Date: August 29, 2015 11:37PM

So if the builder had one of these first guides break, would he be able to repair the rod, or would it mess up the decoration?
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 30, 2015 08:07AM

You could replace the guide without upsetting the cross wrap. The combination tie-off/guide wrap can be removed. The epoxy would keep the crosswrap in place. You'd score the edge of the wrap with a razor blade and then nick and peel the guide wrap off. Everything else would stay in place.

Date: August 30, 2015 02:19PM

Thanks Tom! Just realized you are the author of the book I have! Good stuff and got me started on this craft.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: September 01, 2015 02:29PM

Hey Randy......the rod in the picture is mine .....I made the securing wrap and over wrap for that guide foot all in one because I figured with the roller/stripper guide I could get replacement parts if necessary. The roller would most likely break before the frame.....is my reasoning.

With large guides like that I also will do a small securing wrap and set the guide foot on top of that and covering it all with an overwrap.....this allows you to remove only the guide if necessary. Works with large guides only.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 01, 2015 03:26PM

When pulling the guide wrapping thread keep it warm this helps the thread as you unwind it hold the finish with it nice and clean removal

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster