I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Y guides for micro layout
Posted by: Chris Forslund (32.211.41.---)
Date: August 27, 2015 02:44PM

I'm looking for recommendations for a micro guide transition for a 7'2 ml using a 3000 or 2500 spinning reel. I was considering 20 10 and a 5 fly guide with 5 micro to tip. Any input would be appreciated . Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Y guides for micro layout
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 27, 2015 03:25PM

What size line are you using? With a limp mono (8lb. or less) or braid, you can use those sizes without issue. In fact, that is where I would start with my test casting. If you can get by with the lighter guide train and still have adequate casting distance, I would do it.

With heavier stiffer lines, the height of the 20 starts to become an issue as you move toward the 3000 sized reel. In that case, a 25, 16, 8, (Y frame) 5 fly at the choker location and then your running guides will work well. If you want a little extra height and still choke the line down a little quicker, try a 25, 12 Y frames and then your 5 fly.

My best advice is to keep a set of reduction guides in Y frames from 25 mm or 30 mm down to 6 mm on hand to tinker with during test casting. Get the cheapest model you can for the set (which I tend to use anyway as the aluminum oxide rings and steel frames work well for what I do most of the time). If you decide to use Ti frames, upgraded inserts, or different frame colors, you can order exactly what you need. I also encourage adding sets of different frame heights to see how they relate in terms of ring size and guide height. It's a quick way to spend $50 or so, but it is well worth the money spent.

Posted by: Chris Forslund (32.211.41.---)
Date: August 27, 2015 04:30PM

Joe Vanfossen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What size line are you using? With a limp mono
> (8lb. or less) or braid, you can use those sizes
> without issue. In fact, that is where I would
> start with my test casting. If you can get by
> with the lighter guide train and still have
> adequate casting distance, I would do it.
>
> With heavier stiffer lines, the height of the 20
> starts to become an issue as you move toward the
> 3000 sized reel. In that case, a 25, 16, 8, (Y
> frame) 5 fly at the choker location and then your
> running guides will work well. If you want a
> little extra height and still choke the line down
> a little quicker, try a 25, 12 Y frames and then
> your 5 fly.
>
> My best advice is to keep a set of reduction
> guides in Y frames from 25 mm or 30 mm down to 6
> mm on hand to tinker with during test casting.
> Get the cheapest model you can for the set (which
> I tend to use anyway as the aluminum oxide rings
> and steel frames work well for what I do most of
> the time). If you decide to use Ti frames,
> upgraded inserts, or different frame colors, you
> can order exactly what you need. I also encourage
> adding sets of different frame heights to see how
> they relate in terms of ring size and guide
> height. It's a quick way to spend $50 or so, but
> it is well worth the money spent.

Actually I was going to use a 15# braid. I'll take your advice and grab a bunch of guides. The reason I'm asking is I really like working with Alps guides. If I can get away with using them as much as possible I do. I've done the Kr concept, mw guides and ngc. I thought I would try Y guides with micro this time. Thanks for your detailed information.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 27, 2015 04:48PM

With 15 lb. braid, the 20 - 10 should work very well, but it never hurts to check another setup too. I'm a big fan of the Alps Y guides as well, and think you will be pleased with them in this application.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 27, 2015 07:10PM

I have also used the Alps Y guide / F guides for a handful builds. I also agree with Joe - get one Y of each size and you're covered ! Then just fill in the sizes that you have used from your "set" on your next order. I always have one of each size, and try several setups with different guide sizes to see what is going to be the best for the particular reel and line that will be used.
Rog

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: August 28, 2015 09:00PM

Me too!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster