I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using CCS on bamboo blank?
Posted by: Göran Sandberg (---.011-42-73746f21.cust.bredbandsbolaget.se)
Date: August 27, 2015 06:39AM

I've just completed checking a bamboo blank using CCS and the result was a bit puzzling.
The blank should be a # 4, but a 1\3 of the flex is obtained at 976 grains. That would put it around ERN 2,7. (AA 62)
Are there any others rules to consider using CCS on bamboo blanks?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using CCS on bamboo blank?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2015 07:38AM

It is what it is. If you measured the length and the tape measure tells you it's 8 feet long, it does little good to say it's supposed to be 9 feet long. It is what it is. An ERN of 2.7 would indicate that your rod will likely cast a #4 line nicely at short distances. (ERN is a power figure, not a line number.)

Also remember, the CCS doesn't measure blanks - it measures action, power and speed. The material the blank is made from has no bearing on CCS measurements, just as it won't matter on the weight and length measurements.

Now what does and ERN of 2.7 mean? Simply that it is more powerful than a blank with a lower ERN figure and less powerful than a blank with a higher ERN figure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2015 08:26AM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: August 27, 2015 07:55AM

Thanks for the fast answer.
Yes, I was suspecting that.... Well, I'll have to go down in line number or do shorter casts with a #4 line.
It will be a beautiful rod anyway, agate strip guide, wolfram snake guides and transparent sylk wraps with tung varnish.
Thanks again.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2015 07:56AM

A 3 should work nicely on it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 27, 2015 08:02AM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A 3 should work nicely on it
Will try different lines and lengths. Was hoping to find a sylk fly line somewhere, but no luck yet. I saw that Cortland have a line with "sylk feel". Maybe that could work as a substitute.
Anyone who's has any experience with that line?

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: August 27, 2015 08:25AM

do a google search for "silk fly line". There are a couple of options available at different price ranges.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2015 09:16AM

If you know anyone that fly fishes you might be able to try If they have the 3 and even a 2 wt line on it and see which feels better

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.38.---)
Date: August 27, 2015 01:56PM

I've fished a Cortland Sylk line in a five wt. and had a silk line also available, who made the silk line I have no idea. The Cortland Sylk line was a bit less stiff than the silk line, not as raspy through the guides as the silk line, it had a almost no memory compared to the silk line, wins hands down in cold weather compared to the silk line. The gentleman I was with said the Cortland line lasted longer than a silk line and was about $50, than, if I remember right.
If I missed something please ask.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.c3-0.drf-ubr1.atw-drf.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: August 27, 2015 08:24PM

Don't have the numbers in front of me for my Orvis model 99, but similar to your experience the CCS values I obtained were lower than expected.

Jeff

"The greatest barrier to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Daniel J. Boorstin

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2015 09:36PM

Keep in mind the CCS is an objective, verifiable system of relative measurement. The numbers that the manufacturers put on their rods are just a guess, a suggestion, etc., for the line weight they think might work well at some specific distance, which they rarely bother to mention. One is objective, the other purely subjective.

Posted by: Scott Grady (---.applwi.dedicated.static.tds.net)
Date: September 03, 2015 09:31AM

As a bamboo fly rod maker, who makes his own blanks, I always take into account the distance cast. There are several on line software programs that allow for the change of many rod blank design features. These programs will modify a blank's taper to take into account these factors. This is why I build my own instead of buying premade bamboo blanks.

Tom,
You comment "The material the blank is made from has no bearing on CCS measurements, just as it won't matter on the weight and length measurements." is why CCS doesn't work well for people comparing different materials. It is fine for comparing "like" materials. It will measure action, but I think power and speed must be affected by the mass too, which CCS does not do. Just because two rods have the same CCS values, doesn't mean they will cast the same.

JMHO

Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster