I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod
Posted by: Cory Byrnes (198.135.124.---)
Date: August 24, 2015 12:19AM

Hey guys,

What do you think would be the best Wt. rod for alantic salmon fishing? I am thinking an 8wt medium action for swinging streamers. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cory

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: August 24, 2015 06:58AM

I would go heavier. Friends of mine go to Pulaski in New York state to fish the Salmon river for salmon every fall for the run. I've built them 10 wt rods for this. The first year they went with 8wt rods & one snapped during a run as the water flow was high & fast. Here's an article:

[www.dec.ny.gov]

Here's another article that describes the potential size of these fish & why you may want to consider a 10 wt:

[www.dec.ny.gov] and here: [www.dec.ny.gov]

So, depending on the timing in the fall the fish could be anywhere from 1-2 lbs to well over 30lbs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2015 07:09AM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Jeff Graves (---.dhcp-dynamic.FibreOp.ns.bellaliant.net)
Date: August 24, 2015 07:29AM

Cory,

Where do you plan on fishing for Atlantics? Here in Nova Scotia by far the most popular flavour is a 9 foot 8 weight for salmon fishing. You may want to consider something a little faster than a medium action, weather conditions can certainly run the gambit here in NS from Sunny and no wind to driving rain and 30 knots of wind. Switch rods are also gaining popularity as well.

Cheers
Jeff

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 24, 2015 11:33AM

Ken, the Salmon you are mentioning in NY are NOT Atlantic Salmon, but the Pacific species, with the King or Chinooks that grow very large. Atlantic Salmon do not get that large here in North America.

An 8 or 9 weight moderately fast to fast action rod works quite well for Atlantics.

Date: August 24, 2015 02:50PM

Phil
That is why I attached the information. Yes, I should have asked where the poster intended to fish as a first step ... excerpt: " Atlantic Salmon
Atlantic salmon were native to Lake Ontario. They are fall spawners and start their spawning run as early as July. Atlantic salmon can range from 5 to 20 lbs. Fishing techniques are similar to steelhead fishing methods."

Date: August 24, 2015 05:12PM

Ken, you are correct, they "were" in Lake Ontario, but according to Robert Behnke this population "is now extinct." I fish for both Atlantic Salmon in the East and Stelhead in the West, including the largest Steelhead from the Skeena River system, and have never needed anything heavier then a 9wt. I have caught many over 20lbs and both weights handle them nicely.

The only reason I bring the subject of going with an over weighted rods, is that for most fishermen is it makes for a long exhausting day. There is quite a difference casting an 8 wt vs 10 wt when you are throwing 100's of casts.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 24, 2015 05:42PM

The 9 wt Eternity 2 i made earlier this year came in at 3.7 oz. Should not be too tiring and seems to have good power. Another less expensive but very good blank is the PacBay Quickline. I have an 8 and love it.

Date: August 24, 2015 08:32PM

I guess we're back to "where are you fishing Corey B?" Despite what the good Dr Behnke has written there are Atlantic Salmon in the great lakes (as well as the larger Pacific salmon). They are NOT "native" Atlantic Salmon but rather two different strains that were stocked one a completely landlocked strain from Sweden and another from US strain. The population is now considered "wild" but not "native" and several researchers have identified spawning and young (non-stocked) juveniles

Excerpt: "Great Lakes
This species was native to Lake Ontario and its tributaries up until 1896, but has been extirpated completely (Crawford 2001, Cudmore-Vokey and Crossman 2000). Any individuals currently present in Lake Ontario are the result of reintroductions (Crawford 2001). The Atlantic salmon has been introduced into and reported in all five of the Great Lakes (Cudmore-Vokey and Crossman 2000). In 2006, the Lake Ontario Atlantic Salmon restoration program was launched by the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) and the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR) in an attempt to establish reproducing Atlantic salmon populations in Lake Ontario. In the first five years of the program, more than 2.5 million Atlantic salmon had been stocked into three tributaries of Lake Ontario (Credit River, Duffins Creek, and Cobourg Brook), and within four years, wild-born Atlantic salmon were collected in one of the those tributaries for the first time in over a century (OFAH 2011). In 2009, 41 wild Atlantic salmon were collected from Salmon River in New York, also for the first time in more than a century (Figura 2009). It is estimated that these restocking programs will take an additional 10-15 years for populations to become completely self-sustaining (OFAH 2011). Lake Superior State University continues to stock Atlantic salmon in the Saint Mary’s River, which travel to Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. Trout Lake, near North Bay, ON in the Lake Huron drainage currently has a small, naturally reproducing population that is the result of stocking (OFAH 2011).

BE THAT AS IT MAY -- IF you are making 100's of casts certainly a lighter, more responsive rod will make the day more enjoyable. The fishing in Pulaski (both Atlantic and Pacific salmon) is different as the 'cast' is really no more than a roll of the line slightly upstream with a light weight attached & allowing it to bounce bottom then pick up the line & roll it again. The water can be very fast and the fish (mostly Pacific salmon) average 30lbs. Lots are hooked and less than half make it to the net. Oh, and unless they are smoked they taste like (&*$(#*$

Date: August 24, 2015 09:02PM

Gentleman,

I am making the rod for a friend. When I spoke to him originally the general location that he planned on fishing was new england, novia soctia, greenland and iceland. He is a bit of a globe trotter and would like the rod to be versitle across a broad range of waters and speices of fish. After seeing what recommendations you have and getting some clarification from my friend maybe a 9wt mod fast to fast action rod is in order? When I spoke to him again he was talking pacific salmon, atlantic salmon and something to use down south all rolled into an all around rod. He is relatively new to fly fishing so he wants something that he can learn on and use in a variety of ways and is easy to travel with: 4pc. Do you have any blank recommendations?

Regards,
Cory

P.S. I will be adding location to my list of questions I ask when discussing rod building with someone in the future. I have learned a lot more than expected in this thread thank you.

Date: August 24, 2015 09:26PM

Cory - are there price/cost considerations? The margin between a low cost blank and a more expensive blank is quite wide (like a $300+ gap). Phil and Mike are good sources 'hands on' comparisons.

Date: August 24, 2015 09:38PM

Sir,

He is looking more moderate to low high end. I wouldn't feel right nor would I set him up with a low end blank. He knows that and is still wanting a rod.

Regards,
Cory

Date: August 25, 2015 12:30AM

I believe you cannot go wrong with the Batson line of fly blanks! The "Eternity 2" is the top line and the "Revelation" is the price point below it. Both are excellent with slight differences in action. My choice for someone relatively new to fly fishing would be the 9ft 9wt Revelation.....good action (mod. fast) and power to handle large fish. I fish one my self for Steelhead in British Columbia Dorado in Baja.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 25, 2015 08:59AM

For several years the NYDEC has stocked Salmo Salar in tributaries to Lake Ontario, particularly the Black River, in an effort to re-establish this native fish. This project is not yet successful enough that I would use it to select a fly rod for that fishery.

Date: August 25, 2015 08:59AM

For several years the NYDEC has stocked Salmo Salar in tributaries to Lake Ontario, particularly the Black River, in an effort to re-establish this native fish. This project is not yet successful enough that I would use it to select a fly rod for that fishery.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.39.---)
Date: August 25, 2015 12:51PM

Give the Pac Bay Quickline series a look also. The CC data for power and action angle is listed on their site.

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 26, 2015 10:49AM

Here a link to our website to find more info.
Thanks
[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Date: August 26, 2015 01:46PM

It's difficult for the most accomplished rod-builder or angler to suggest a make or model of blank without knowing where, or when, or how the customer intends to fish. What species and size? How deep and how fast the water? How big or how small the fly, lure, or bait? Mass market rod makers do a great job of satisfying general needs with truly fine products. The custom rod builder needs to exceed generalities.

Date: August 26, 2015 01:46PM

It's difficult for the most accomplished rod-builder or angler to suggest a make or model of blank without knowing where, or when, or how the customer intends to fish. What species and size? How deep and how fast the water? How big or how small the fly, lure, or bait? Mass market rod makers do a great job of satisfying general needs with truly fine products. The custom rod builder needs to exceed generalities.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster