I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Tip-Tops
Posted by: Don Lukehart (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2015 06:58PM

I have been building rods for 10 years now. 99% of these are fly rods in the 2 to 5 weight class. The stripper and tamer guides I have come to prefer are the Pacific Bay Minima 4's. As for runners- single foot Recoils. For a tip-top I have been using a Fuji Alconite CFAT. As you can see I am worried about weight, so my question is: Do you guys think the tip-top is to heavy and if so what would you use? Or am I just to concerned about weight even if it is at the most sensitive area? This shouldn't be an issue but I don't like the appearance of the Recoil Tip-Top.

Tkx,Don

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Tip-Tops
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 23, 2015 07:03PM

You should weigh your rods with different guides to see if you are gaining anything
After 10 years what do you think maybe Ti guide for the top

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 23, 2015 07:17PM

Sorry I am not as experienced as you Bill but I was not looking for criticism just help.

Date: August 23, 2015 07:29PM

Not meaning anything
You sound like you are getting the lightest as you can You should weigh maybe the Minima tops - recoil and Titanium tops and see which are lighter Short wraps One less guide ???
You seem to have the best
Unless some one else has any ideas ??
maybe permagloss on the thread wraps

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2015 07:32PM by bill boettcher.

Date: August 23, 2015 07:39PM

Unfortunately I don't have a scale to weight items that small. Was hoping someone out there would be able to give me some insight, but thanks anyway Bill.

Date: August 23, 2015 08:09PM

Buy one

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 23, 2015 08:16PM

Thanks again Bill

Don

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 23, 2015 08:32PM

I don't think the tiptop alone is going to be enough to denigrate the rod's performance. Sure, a lighter tip will quicken the response time but we'd be talking a miniscule amount - what you're using now isn't a terribly heavy top.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: August 23, 2015 08:35PM

Don,
You are correct to be sensitive to weight of a fly tip top.
I use either a Recoil, which I'm not crazy about the looks, or a std chrome fly loop.
The recoil is lighter but the std loop looks better.
The inserted guides carry the penalty of more weight at exactly the worst place.

Gene Moore

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 23, 2015 09:48PM

A light weight wire tip top is hard to beat for weight. Most fly fishermen couldn't tell the difference between it and another set of options. I also greatly dislike the recoil tip top appearance, looks like I made it in my garage with scraps! Take a look at the Batson light weight wire tip tops.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 23, 2015 10:19PM

Hi all,
REC has changed their Recoil tip-tops such that they replaced the aluminum tubes with stainless tubes so they can apply a black finish to match their black series. I told them that they shot themselves in the foot for doing this. They now weigh as much as a conventional tip-top. The Snakebrand small ring tip-top actually weighs less.

But to answer your question - YES - weight is VERY important in a fly rod - especially on the tip - and especially in the weights you are building. I would stay away from ceramics - titanium or not.
Herb

Date: August 24, 2015 09:29AM

Tkx for the input Guys.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 24, 2015 10:12AM

Here's an idea for you - build your next rod per your standard component use. Leave off the tiptop. Then install, with hot melt glue, one of the mentioned tiptops. Go cast or fish it. Then remove that top and install another of the one's mentioned. Again with hot melt glue. Then go cast and fish it. So on and so forth. In a short period of time you should be able to determine if what you're doing now is fine, or if another top is more to your liking.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 24, 2015 11:12AM

What if you just pulled the NiTi wire loop out of an ugly Recoil tip-top and wound the loop's legs like you would a guide, but at the very tip of the blank? Even when the wraps are coated it should be the lightest tip-top.

Date: August 25, 2015 09:22AM

Excellent idea Tom. I will try it.

Posted by: David McDonough (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2015 02:00AM

Don,
I've stopped using tip tops altogether because of the weight. I just bind on a guide (identical to the smallest guide in the set) instead. It's a little more awkward than slipping on a tube style tip-top, but the weight is much less and the rod performs noticeably better.
David

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster