I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What about reels?
Posted by: Matthew Tuers (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 22, 2015 11:49PM

Another question for the pros...

How does reel-rod matching figure into your guide layout, color selections, rod balancing, pricing, etc.?

Do you ask your customer to pick a reel before you begin working on a rod for them?

Do you have certain reel brands and models in mind when you're deciding on cost/price point, color palettes and other configurations for your "mass produced" rods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What about reels?
Date: August 23, 2015 02:22AM

I'm also wondering if anyone has thought of entering into deals with reel manufacturers to base your rod building model specs on their reel models to create referral customers.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 23, 2015 08:05AM

Without having an idea of what reel your customer is going to use, you're not going to be able to fine tune certain aspects of the rod.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: August 23, 2015 11:25AM

If a customer has a reel I ask him to bring it with him. If he doesn't have a reel but knows what reel he will be using I can usually find information about the reel on line and approximate pretty closely the reel seat & guide train that will work for him. I do NOT have any 'standing inventory" or 'mass produced rods' on hand with the exception of my personal rods/reels - which a customer can shake & cast as much as he would like. Yes, I have MANY more rods than I need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2015 11:27AM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 23, 2015 01:17PM

Matthew

It seems to me that the type and size of rod determines the class or series of the reel. For instance I would not put a 4000 series reel on a 5 foot ultra lite rod at the same time I would not put a 1000 series reel on a 12 foot surf rod.
In a given class of reel there are small variations in size, weight and geometric configuration, but when mated to a suitable sized rod these variations contribute very little to the difference in the performance of the rod and would behave equally well.

The reel is usually in or near ones hand and is essentially the pivot point of the action and for all practical purposes is the pivot point, therefore the distance and the difference of mass or weight on the moment is insignificant. As far as casting (coil effects etc) there should be no significant difference.

If you do not what size reel is to be used then inform the customer what class/size of reel is recommended for the rod you are building.

As Ken said if you have a few extra rods let the customer shake & cast to his satisfaction.

One can never have enough rods.

John

Date: August 23, 2015 11:36PM

So speaking of guide configuration, is NGC (New Guide Concept) - a system highly dependent on your specific reel - a popular phenomenon for custom rod builders? Or is it a Fuji marketing ploy (it requires more guides, and special Fuji guides at that)?

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 24, 2015 01:41PM

Matthew Yes the NGC is dependent on your reel size and not a phenomenon, it is the real deal. If you lay it out correctly it will work great. And it is not necessary to use Fuji guides nor is it a marking ploy. The Fuji guides do in fact work rather well, l however I have done quite a few NGC's using the Pac Bay Minima 4 guides. They are priced significantly lower than Fuji but my customers like the fact that they are Much lighter due to the fact there is no ceramic ring.

The extra guides are the running guides and are the least expensive. Not having compared a basic COF layout to the NGC I doubt the New Guide Concept is much if any more.

Tom

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: August 24, 2015 04:44PM

Hi Tom,

Just a couple of comments for clarity.

Don

Tom Wewerka Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Matthew Yes the NGC is dependent on your reel
> size and not a phenomenon, it is the real deal.

Ditto

> If you lay it out correctly it will work great.

The layout can support the effective use of either a spinning or convention reel.
(Dual Rung)

> And it is not necessary to use Fuji guides nor is
> it a marking ploy. The Fuji guides do in fact
> work rather well, l however I have done quite a
> few NGC's using the Pac Bay Minima 4 guides.

Minima guides are favorites among tournament distance casters.

> They are priced significantly lower than Fuji but
> my customers like the fact that they are Much
> lighter due to the fact there is no ceramic ring.

Minima guides do have a stainless steel ring.

Also, the Fuji LNAG guides in size 12 are about the same weight (sometimes lighter) as other guides. At size 16, you should find the LNAG heavier than the equivalent size Minima guide.

It was quite some time that I made the comparisons and I regret not documenting the results. Basically, I weighed 10 of each guide to obtain the average weight.

>
> The extra guides are the running guides and are
> the least expensive. Not having compared a basic
> COF layout to the NGC I doubt the New Guide
> Concept is much if any more.
>
> Tom

Don Becker

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 24, 2015 06:54PM

Don

Thank you on your clarifications. it is a beautiful system and does work well. Just last week I had a customer bring me a Factory Shimano spinning rod he said was casting poorly. It had #6 running guides with regular guides in front of it Starting with a 30. By sheer luck the first running guide was almost perfect for the 27X, so I added in the Fuji KLAG H to complete the guide train. He only words when trying it again was WOW.

Tom

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 24, 2015 10:09PM

For my area, a guys choice in reels oftens says a lot about his overall view. It isn't unusual for some to favor vintage large spool spinning reels, like mitchells and penns. If a guy wants to fish those reels I find there is little point in talking newer guide trains and lighter high modulus blanks. Ditto if he wants a 40# class conventional but is fishing a 6/0 senator.

So sometimes it isn't about fitting a reel to a blank....as much as fitting a fisherman, who wishes to use a certain reels, to a blank.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 25, 2015 09:48AM

I think the type of line used on a spinning rod, specifically how limp that line is, should make a considerable difference in the guide size(s) and placement on the blank if the rod will be used for casting.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: August 25, 2015 12:19PM

I believe we need to summarize the information.

As mentioned by Russ, the fisherman's wants do play a part in the equation and do dictate the required outcome.

More basically, considerations are type fish, habitat/structure, terminal tackle, type and size line, type and size reel, fisherman and skills, rod characteristics to include length, line rating, lure rating, and action. All of these determine guide type, size, and layout.

Matthew did ask about color coordination. There are about 8 or 10 colors readily available for reels. In contrast, companies may stock about 40 to 80 colors of thread. If a special reel is to be used with the rod, it would be easier to match the rods colors to the reel. In mid August, I received a shipment of small conventional reels. These were colored by the manufacturer for a special order.

Here's is a sample picture. It took over a month to get the proper color. I was continually offered a color that had excessive pink in its makeup.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Although it would be difficult to change the characteristics of the above reel, it is possible to add a little bling to more mundane black/silver conventional Omoto & ABU reels in the 5000 & 6000 sizes. We stock 6000 size spools, end cap tensioners, standard size and mini star drag wheels, handles and handle nut retainers. Seven colors are available.

Don Becker

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster