I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How does everyone add colors to trim bands?
Posted by: Adam Lathrop (141.197.12.---)
Date: August 20, 2015 09:32AM

Simple question but for a new builder and finding all the great info on the net on adding and removing thread into a wrap I thought it might be usefull to understand what the old salty dogs do.

Here is the question. Your about to make a guide wrap. your gunna run 10 wraps of black followed by 2 wraps of metallic then 4 wraps of a accent color then 2 wraps of metallic again followed by black to the tip of the guide. How would you typically incorporate your colors?

Personally I've always started my black, pinned both colors under the black wrap and then hand wrapped the colors as needed. using the other thread to pin the previous until I got back to black. At that point I would just cross over the entire trim section with black, pinning the last color and continue on. Works but can be clumsy and you have extra thread always wrapping around.

I did see on on rodbuildingtutorials.com that some guys will insert loops to tie off each band almost individually. Gunna try that tonight for some practice.

So what say you all

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How does everyone add colors to trim bands?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2015 10:09AM

Adam,
If you don't like the extra thread wrapping around - just have a few strips of narrow masking tape handy. When not using the extra thread, hold it back down to the blank with a piece of tape.

I also use the extra tie off loops for certain types of trim design. When doing multiple colors, one tie off loop per color works well, especially when having the colors exit at different spots in the warp.

Take care

Posted by: Adam Lathrop (141.197.12.---)
Date: August 20, 2015 11:13AM

Roger thanks. I do indeed use tape to hold the colors down on the blank. Sometimes they just get in the way ya know.

Posted by: billy broderick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: August 20, 2015 12:33PM

Adam there as many ways to add thread trim bands as there are threads. I have seen a host of different ways. My favorite is from RM and tom calls it treating two threads as one. Perhaps he will chime in and explain.

Posted by: Nate Nelson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2015 05:37PM

Billy - I'd love to hear more about this method.

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: August 21, 2015 05:29AM

Hello,

Check out Tom's article in the Library link above titled "Narrow Trim Bands and Thread Inlays".

The process details using a single thread, but for wider trim you can wrap it in bands of two's and three's.

For what you describe I would do:

Black, 10 bands--Normal guide wrap.
Metallic, 2 bands--RM inlay.
Accent color, 4 bands--RM inlay or tie-off loop depending on thread size.
Metallic 2 bands--RM inlay.

-chad

Date: August 21, 2015 03:35PM

Nate really hard to explain in words but I will try....the trim band is laid length wise on the blank and wrapped over with the main thread. when you want a trim band you move the main color to the side and wrap as many turns as you want the trim band over the main thread. Then you tuck the trim thread under the main thread move the main thread back into place and continue to wrap over the trim. You can pick up the trim as many times in a wrap as you want.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 21, 2015 04:52PM

I think you explained it pretty well.

Date: August 21, 2015 05:28PM

wow thanks Tom I wasn't sure if that made any sense at all to anyone but me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster