I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thinking on Modulus
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 20, 2015 08:28AM

So from what I understand, modulus is simply a way of looking at a materials resistance to elastic deformation - resistance to bending or flexing. To simplify things, can we say that higher modulus materials have a higher stiffness to weight ratio?

In looking at it this way, I'd say cork is a fairly high modulus handle material compared to EVA, and Flex Coat type reel seat arbors are probably higher modulus than cork?

Too much coffee for me this AM?

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinking on Modulus
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 20, 2015 08:51AM

Fro their purpose and use within the confines of how we use them on fishing rods, it might be better to look at them from a standpoint of durometer hardness to weight ratio. With handle materials it is the rigidity rather than a resistance to flexing that would be the primary concern. However, it does come back to stiffness to weight ratio in some regard.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2015 09:00AM

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2015 11:15AM

Mark,

I would say that's a pretty fair assessment when thinking in terms of modulus of elasticity.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are trying to get a feel for what modulus of elasticity in grip materials means for rod sensitivity. The argument that I tend to make is that weight is going to be the largest factor. If you can reduce the mass of the grip, either by removing unnecessary material or by changing the grip material, that is a good thing. A secondary concern is the mechanical properties of the grip. The closer you can get them to the graphite blank, the better, but I wouldn't build up a grip by wrapping the blank with sleeving material and resin to build it out, as that would be much too heavy to make up for the weight added.

Perhaps the epitome of a sensitive handle would be a blank that swelled out at the butt into a thin wall tube that a spinning reel or plate seat could be wrapped onto. This would likely require filament winding techniques as shown in the NASA video a number of posts below, as the stresses where the blank flares are likely to be substantial, and the material would need to be carefully controlled in this area of the blank.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2015 12:27PM

Joe, the description in your last paragraph is pretty much what the old Shimano Speed Master Fightin Rods had for reel seats. The butt of the blank was over sized in diameter, and depending on the model, either part of the blank was cut out and a plate type reel seat was recessed into the blank, (that's how the pistol grip casting rods were made) or, they had what amounted to a split reel seat, with a hood epoxied directly to the blank, and then the threads for the up locking reel seat were cut into the blank and the rear portion of the seat held the back of the reel. They used that latter set up on their spinning, and two handed casting rods.

I just measured the O.D. of the blank in the center of the reel seat on a 1654, and the diameter is .911" EVA rear grip, and a comparatively long (4") very thin EVA fore grip. Still a very good rod, and one of the ones that I refinished and put new guides on, that got me into starting to build my own rods. It's very light, even by today's standards.

Just some history for those that may have a few old Shimano rods laying around and are wondering what the numbers on the rod mean. The first number in the series delineated whether it was a casting, or a spinning rod. 1 if it was a casting rod, and 2 if it was a spinning rod. The second and third numbers were the rods length. In the case of a 1654, it meant the rod was 6 1/2' long. The last number was the power rating of the rod. Powers went from 1 - 5.

I believe the Speed Master series was Shimano's only 100% graphite rod at that time.They were truly great rods for their time. I also still have a 1554 (5 1/2' pistol grip) that I refinished and put new guides on that is an awesome in close spinnerbait rod. The reel seat is flexing in it a bit right now, and when it pops out I hope I can just re-epoxy it into the blank. If not, it will be a truly sad day.

Man if I had a dollar for every pound of bass I've caught with those two rods .............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2015 12:29PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 20, 2015 01:58PM

If you are fishing with either nylon or fluorocarbon monofilament their elasticity is great enough to trivialize anything but huge differences in the modulus of your blank or grip when "sensing" a strike. The slightest increase in slack between rod tip and hook decreases sensitivity [feel] exponentially. I would look to eyesight and technique to increase sensitivity. Dead drifting nymphs to trout in moving water would be good practice.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: August 22, 2015 12:10PM

Several years back Emory Harry wrote articles for RODMAKER - unfortunately I have never cataloged the issues & so can't help you with the issue(s) volumes.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 22, 2015 12:54PM

Hello All.

Ken, the Volume/Issues are 6/6 & 7/1, the authors are Emory Harry and Jack Hurt, the name of the articles are "Rod Blanks Characteristics, Properties and Terms", part 1 was in the 6/6 and part two was in the 7/1.

Hope that helps.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster