I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

yellowing finish
Posted by: phil ayers (50.58.79.---)
Date: August 17, 2015 08:12AM

I built a rod about a month ago and had trouble with the finish getting hard it took over a week. I looked at the rod yesterday and the finish has a yellow tint to it over the decal and a little at the edge of one guide. It is a split grip and a decal there looks good. It was built on a white blank so it shows pretty bad. Any ideas on this? Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: yellowing finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 17, 2015 08:38AM

Nature of the beast. All epoxies will turn somewhat amber/yellow over time, both in the bottle and on the rod. And the more UV protectants that are added to the hardener, the worse the yellowing will be.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: August 18, 2015 09:35AM

Phil..............there was something wrong with your materials. There is no way the epoxy should take a week to cure and it should not yellow in just a month on the rod. And I have a feeling the problem is only going to get worse with time. Sorry.

Date: August 18, 2015 10:38AM

How long it takes the epoxy to set and cure depends on the temperature. And, all epoxies will yellow. The older the product the more it will already be yellow and the quicker it will continue to turn yellow. Even a fresh kit will eventually yellow and when used on a white blank or thread the problem is more obvious than if you had used it on a darker blank or thread.

Posted by: phil ayers (50.58.79.---)
Date: August 18, 2015 01:48PM

I have the drying issue solved thanks to the help I received here, the yellowing surprised me because it is mostly over the decal. I was not careful enough with the mixture and that was the start of the problem but it did get dry and looks pretty good except for the area in front of the grip where I placed the decal. I also put a decal between the split grip (NC) he is a Carolina fan and it looks great. The rod was a gift and only my 3rd rod but I wanted it to be as good as I could make it, if he was paying for it I would build him another one. Maybe best to stay away from white blanks.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2015 01:56PM

What finish are you guys using I use FlexCoat there new UV and it sets about 5 hours hard overnight and clear How long before yellowing ???? Is probably the mix

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 18, 2015 02:39PM

If you're using a white blank and need a crystal clear finish, then you'll almost certainly have to utilize one of the moisture curing urethanes, or perhaps a water based furniture urethane.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2015 05:11PM

Tom is right Permagloss or a auto body clear You can get some in pints small amounts You are just going to have to play with the mixing of it I got one and mixed according to instructions It dried like permagloss So I added another CC of the clear so as instead of the 3 parts clear and one part activator I upped it to 4 parts clear and one part activator Dried about an hour which was a nice time to correct any Boo Boos

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: matthew allen (12.71.77.---)
Date: August 21, 2015 05:03PM

If your using prokote High build I have experienced yellowing problems also. I have had several white rods that turned yellow very quickly and once it turns yellow it doesn't look the best. I have switched to flexcoat UV and it takes a lot longer before it starts to yellow, but like mentioned before all epoxy will eventually yellow just part of it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster