I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide wrap
Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: August 04, 2015 01:30PM

So I have been doing this for a while and never really thought about it until today. W\hen wrapping guides which way do you wrap the foot closes to the tip top. Do you wrap down the rod toward the tip top starting at the guide iteslf, or do you wrap up the rod starting at the tip top side of the guide foot and wrap toward the guide. What is the consensus as to the way to do it?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide wrap
Posted by: John DeMartini (---.atos.net)
Date: August 04, 2015 01:40PM

John W

I wrap all my guides from the rod to the foot.

John De

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 04, 2015 02:20PM

I have finished only a few rods 2 dozen I always go from the rod to the foot, never the other way ,it works better for me , the reason is I start the thread then the guide
never do both at the same time , I don'could do both at the same time , my next build I will try it , just to see if I can , BILL

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2015 03:10PM

Wrapping "uphill" seems to be easier for most as the thread will tend to pack itself as it climbs onto the guide foot.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2015 03:25PM

I have tried it both ways, and unless I need to do something special with trim wraps, I will always start on the rod blank and then wrap up and onto the guide foot up to the guide ring.

I agree with others, by having the thread wraps on the blank itself first, the previous guide wraps provide a wall to back up the previous thread wrap and help to climb the hill to the guide foot.

If you start at the upright part of the guide and work down and off the guide, the thread wants to slip and separate, as the thread is wrapped down the angled guide foot toward the blank.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 04, 2015 03:42PM

Very simple Try it both ways and see how it works one way but not so much the other

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 04, 2015 04:22PM

Thanks everyone. So rod to guide seems to be the way to go. Ok, so do you rotate the rod in the same direction for both feet? I would think yes, but I could see eithere way. I can also see wrapping all the guides on one side first, reversing the rod in the lathe, and wrapping the other feet.

Again, thanks everyone.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 04, 2015 04:30PM

Rotate the same direction, although you could certainly do it the way you mention if you wished to do so. I suspect after a bit of practice you won't find the need to do so.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 04, 2015 07:43PM

John,
It doesn't matter which way the guides are oriented on the rod and whether they are single or double foot guides. Just start on the rod and wrap up the slope of the guide foot until you get to the guide loop piece.

I keep the rod on the wrapper the same way and continue to have the rod rotate in the same direction, since the thread holder stays in the same position, no matter which side of the guide that is being wrapped.

Good luck

Date: August 04, 2015 10:22PM

Ok,

Thanks everyone. I have tried it all the ways I have mentioned, and I too found wrapping uphill to work. I just wanted to see if everyone else used the same techniques. Nice to have a professional group to ping ideas and questions off. Again thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster