I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fast Action 6wt Fly Rod Blank
Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 03, 2015 06:49PM

I'm looking for a fast action 6wt fly blank to build as a gift. My original plan was to build on a TFO BVK blank but the person I'm building it for has not been very happy with his 9wt version of the same blank claiming he does not like the way it tracks and that he felt his St Croix legend blank was "faster". I'm a little surprised by his comments but I also know that not every weight class in a given blank performs equally against it's competition. I've also long ago given up working about the "weight" designation of the blank and throw whatever line the rod likes since I have a large number of lines in my collection. The person I'm building this for is not as flexible. So, I am looking for recommendations for a blank that is less than about $175. Needs to be 6wt and 9'.

Thanks,
Quinn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fast Action 6wt Fly Rod Blank
Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 03, 2015 06:55PM

HI Quinn,
You can go with either the RainShadow Eternity2 or the Revelation. Here is some quick specs.
Eternity2: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]
Revelation: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2015 07:27PM

Pick his brain a little bit and find out the average distance he's going to be casting and fishing. If you can get the CCS numbers on the blank, you might be able to better dial in which blank will work with a 6-weight line at his intended distance. You can then label it however you want. I've put "6-weight" on a number of the manufacturers' 4-weight, or even 8 weight blanks.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 03, 2015 09:13PM

Quin,
Are you looking for a #6 blank that will cast a #6 line. Or are you looking for a fast #6 blank that is so stiff that it has to be overlined? There are some $#5's out there that need a #9 line to load them.

I also do not like the BVK - BTW.

The CTS Affinity-X #6 will cast a #6 line nicely. Their Affinity-MX is slightly more moderate. They share the same tip section - but th butt on the "X" is stiffer.
Herb
Distrib CTS Fly Blanks.

PS - if you want a domestic blank the Dan Craft GXT #6 is also a nice blank.
Different "personality" than the CTS - but very smooth.

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.89-10-248.nextgentel.com)
Date: August 04, 2015 07:22AM

I have tried the Affinity-MX 8,6 not the 9 . It is maybe little bit faster than rain shadow Eternity2. The bottom section on the Eternity2 works a little deeper under load when you push the rod and affinity is a little stiffer in the bottom section .Both are fast. I like the Eternity 2 very well. It handles a broad range of fly lines. It is good at close range and makes 90 feet cast easily . More you push the rod , the more the bottom section follows your movements.You are able cast the eternity with a relatively slow line speed as well with a very fast line speed. It is up to you. Both are good blanks.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 09:25AM by Terje Bendiksby.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: August 04, 2015 08:15AM

Personal observation on the BVK if you already own one: try casting it by moving your hand a few inches closer to the reel than you usually would and see if it does not cast better.
If it does, change out your build accordingly.
I have guys who swear the BVK needs to changed like that and that when done like that are excellent..

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 04, 2015 09:18AM

There is a big difference between the actions of a #6 BVK and a #9 BVK, and a similar difference in the casting situations each will be used in. I love my 9wt. BVK over lined with a 10 wt. line. It will bore holes into the wind, but 6 wts. are seldom required to do this. A custom fly rod should be suited to the types of fishing situations it will most often face as well as the casting abilities of its user.

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: August 04, 2015 01:34PM

Lou Auret Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Personal observation on the BVK if you already own
> one: try casting it by moving your hand a few
> inches closer to the reel than you usually would
> and see if it does not cast better.
> If it does, change out your build accordingly.
> I have guys who swear the BVK needs to changed
> like that and that when done like that are
> excellent..

What do you mean by "change out your build accordingly". Thank you.

Posted by: Quinn_Canfield (198.182.55.---)
Date: August 04, 2015 01:41PM

This rod is going to be his all around go to rod. Warm water bass, crappie, trout etc, everything except saltwater. After speaking with him again last night I think I am going to give the Eternity a try. I love CTS blanks. I have one of their spinning rods and I am pretty sure CTS makes Bob Meisers blanks as well (I have one of the new 5/6/7 11' switch blanks) but the fly rod is a little out of my price range. I will let everyone know how it comes out.

Thanks for the input.

Quinn

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.89-10-248.nextgentel.com)
Date: August 04, 2015 01:48PM

We are few guys here Norway who are impressed by the performance of the eternity2 blank, especially the six weight. The ones I have used are either with single recoil guides or light wire snake guides. Within your price range , it is a winner that will outperform blanks costing 2- 3 times more, though there are many good blanks out there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 02:00PM by Terje Bendiksby.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: August 04, 2015 02:28PM

John, i mean if gripping closer to the reel seat works for you or your client:
You have to identify why he is holding it closer to the tip and adjust for that.
Possibilities are:
change reel seat to where its screw down not up,
or add two inches to last piece or blank,
or change grip style/shape so that handle lets the caster have a more comfortable grip closer to the reel.
His hands could be riddled with arthritis and you need to make a fatter portion to the grip where it will balance right for him for how he fishes, what his abilities are.
That all is going to depend on where you are starting from and why the caster holds the rod like he does,the reel weight, line etc.
Thats why you build a Custom rod.
Lots of good experienced fly fishermen love the BVK, i doubt its a bad blank: more likely an odd build.

Posted by: Bryan Yates (---.townes.net)
Date: August 04, 2015 09:13PM

MHX. I have the 7wt in the 1pc, 2pc and 4pc, and the 10' 6wt. All 4 are cannons, light, track extremely well, and have an excellent feel. Very impressed with those blanks.

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.cityofanderson.com)
Date: August 05, 2015 03:19PM

Quinn, I just finished a build of a 5wt Eternity 2 and am very impressed with this blank. Can't advise about the #6. As far as the #5 it was very straight, beautiful finish and agree with Terje about the way it casts. It seems to cast well with both a slower and a faster casting stroke. It is also very accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to build another for a guy that likes a fast stroke

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster