I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trouble packing first Crosswrap
Posted by: Adam Lathrop (141.197.12.---)
Date: August 03, 2015 07:28AM

This being my third build I figured I would try a simple diamond pattern crosswrap. The design and colors came out great but i had wicked trouble getting the threads to pack together. In the end after finish I noticed more gaps then I would like. Hopefully I either did something wrong or there is a technique i'm missing.

Here was my process.
1. After roughly determining the length I wanted I then used tape to measure the Circumference of the rod at the center point of the wrap.
2. I wanted a double so on my 0 and 180 degree axis I marked the circumference measurement out about 5-6 marks(1 1/8" was circumference)
3. On 45 and 270 I measured the first mark at half the Circumference and then the other marks were the full Circumference.
4. I wrapped my threads to create a diamond pattern( equal wraps on both sides.

The wrap was elongated, which was nice, but extremely hard to pack. Almost like it was to long a distance on the points.

Also when laying down the thread it was obviously easier to get the thread close on the runs where the thread was being picked up by the other threads rather then when I had to chase the other threads, If that makes sense.

In the end I tried to pack everything close and use cp before finish but it didn't help much.

Was the pattern simply to elongated?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trouble packing first Crosswrap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2015 08:33AM

The more the pattern is elongated the more the thread wants to slip off and away from the center crossing points. It sort of rolls downhill. I find that on these type wraps you need to back off the tension just a tad so there is less tendency for the thread to be pulled away from center. Still takes some care in packing, but it'll help somewhat.

Date: August 03, 2015 08:39AM

Ah okay so you want less tension the longer the pattern? makes sense because your right the outer threads with no other threads pinning them down where the worst ones.

Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: August 03, 2015 09:36AM

A under wrap of an appropriate color below the crosswrap design also helps to keep the design threads from slipping on the outside of the pattern.

Date: August 03, 2015 10:09AM

Hindsight being what it is I should have underwrapped black A under the wrap. It would of helped to hide any errors i'm sure.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: August 03, 2015 10:57AM

Another point that might help you is to pack multiple threads at one time rather than individual threads and pack at the crossing points

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: August 03, 2015 10:57AM

Another point that might help you is to pack multiple threads at one time rather than individual threads and pack at the crossing points

Date: August 03, 2015 11:21AM

I did in fact find it easier to pack everything at the end but they still would move slightly .

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: September 11, 2015 09:41AM

Wrapping in bands of multiple threads reduces the number of overlaps making it easier to pack. Having marks on the 90 and 270 can be helpful if they are spot on, but will confound packing problems if off even a small amount. Given you are not laying out a taper offset spacing, the accuracy of having marks half way on the 90 and 270 is actually introducing a small amount of locational error, the effect is that your thread is bending left and right from mark to mark as you spiral it on. Having more marks to hit, if not precisely located, is more difficult than hitting fewer marks just on the top and bottom axis. Thread tension is not the problem, accuracy in locating your centers is the problem your experiencing. If your center locations are highly accurate, you don't have to lessen tension because the thread will want to naturally lie where it should. Of course, you can have too much tension and experience threads crossing problems, that's why wrapping in bands is helpful, to lessen the number of crosses.

Outside threads on open wraps give everyone trouble because there's nothing next to them to hold them in place. When I experience this I wrap a few temporary sacrificial threads outside the pattern, pack, color preserve, then remove the extra threads. Then I follow up with 1-2 more applications of cp as needed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster