I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

not having to pack wraps on a wrapping machine
Posted by: steve schoonover (---.lightspeed.livnmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 01, 2015 09:39PM

I have watched alot of you tube videos on rod building and it seems that when people are using a rod wrapper they do not have to pack wraps like you have to when you are wrapping by hand. Is there a simple explanation for this? I have only wrapped by hand but am comsidering purchasing a wrapper. Wondering if this will help with tighter wraps?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: not having to pack wraps on a wrapping machine
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2015 11:09PM

Yes and no. If you can reach that fine line where you can lay the thread on with some automatic back pressure, without overwinding, then you don't need to do as much packing. Otherwise, you will still have to do it. Remember that a wrapping machine doesn't do anything you don't do by hand now, it just does it faster. So if you're prone to loose, erratic or gap spaced wrapping by hand, you'll get the same results by power wrapping, only faster.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 02, 2015 01:14AM

I just started building this year, and as usual Tom has hit the nail on the head. The angle of the thread as it goes on the wrap, for me anyhow, is the key to tight wraps. Like he said, it's a fine line between wraps that need to be packed, and over winding a wrap.

When wrapping guides that have more space between them, I just slide the rod a little to try and keep the proper angle. As I get closer to the tip, where guides are closer together, I guide the thread with my fingers as I turn the rod. I don't build that often, so it usually takes me a few wraps before I start to get into a flow.

And having good lighting so you can see the thread easily makes all the difference in the world.

At least for this basic newbie.

Posted by: Lee Harrelson (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 02, 2015 06:20AM

Having the extra hand free makes it easier to wrap with smaller gaps. You will still have an occasional gap or over wrap.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 02, 2015 10:11AM

Steve,
When I first started rod building some time ago, I wrapped one rod by hand. Since I have an engineering background, I made a vow that I would never wrap another rod by hand. That was when I made my first crude power wrapper.

Since then, I have never wrapped a rod by hand and don't see any reason to do so. But yes, I seldom have to go back and pack threads. As much as anything, if I do find that I have a gap on a couple of wraps, I hit the switch on the wrapper, back up, pulling the thread to keep it tight until any gaps are unwrapped, reset the angle on the thread and rewrap that portion of the wrap and finish up. So, yes, I still pack and burnish as needed to smooth and level, but there are seldom any openings that actually need to be repacked.

But, again, the ability to have a very good wrapper that lets one turn at one rpm if needed both forward and backward - is a big asset for building rods without getting arm or finger fatigue.

Be safe

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: August 03, 2015 06:07PM

Steve:

What Tom wrote; it's a yes and no, and probably no. The amount of packing will vary by blank material (bamboo vs. other), thread size and material (silk vs. nylon vs. polyester) to name but a few of the variables. Purchasing or building a power wrapper to avoid packing will probably disappoint initially. The first challenge will be to adjust and control the power wrapper. And even after mastering the wrapper you just might prefer packing every 4 to 5 turns. Power wrappers are a good thing. Just don't expect too much.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster