I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PacBay power wrapper
Posted by: Spencer Ortiz (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2015 04:12PM

Hi everyone like many others I have bin floating around here for awhile without ever posting but it's about time I do, I love fishing as many of you probably do to I'm assuming but it's hard sometime to find that perfectly built art of a rod that we look for when we want to spend good hard earned money. Month have gone by and I've wanted to start wrapping and building but can't seem to find some where that has a power wrapper or anything close to the one in the title of the post. Where do some of you get your supplies and or tools? I'm local to Orange County area and it has bin hard to start this amazing new hobby with out being able to find a good source of information. If any of you could point me in the right direction it would be a tremendous help and I'd be greatly appreciative. Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PacBay power wrapper
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2015 05:14PM

There is a long list of suppliers of parts, pieces, tools, etc., in the sponsor column to the left. While there are a few walk-in shops around, they generally won't have the selection of the larger specialty rod building component suppliers. Most will also carry power wrappers from various manufacturers.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 01, 2015 06:40PM

the reason is floor space or cost per square foot to operate the store , where a warehouse you can stack to the roof an use a step ladder , that is one reason an the up keep is a lot less second reason there is more

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: August 02, 2015 04:00PM

Spencer,
I may have misinterpreted your post, but you don't need to have a power wrapper to wrap a fishing rod. A simple hand wrapper will do quite nicely. You can find one for sale by almost all of the sponsors on the left side of this web page. I started out using a cup to hold my spool of thread and a dictionary to apply tension.
Today I have a power wrapper, but only use it for applying color preserver and rod finish. Even though I have nearly fifty years building rods, I still like the feel of the rod in my hands when wrapping. Don't let the lack of a power wrapper keep you from building a rod. Good luck on your project.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 02, 2015 04:33PM

Like Michael has said You don't need a power wrapper
If you are starting out A good hand wrapper is good and you may just find you like it better
Instead of going for a lot of money ( check the Buy Sell Page ) there are a lot of wrappers there get a inexpensive one to start you can always get better
Start slow and get the just of it before you POOR money into it You can always add

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 03, 2015 01:15PM

Hello Spencer
I am from So Cal too and have been wrapping for many years. Unhide your email so that me and others can send you a reply to your questions. There are rod building suppliers local to you that I can pass on to you by email.

Posted by: Spencer Ortiz (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2015 08:22PM

Yes yes yes thank you everyone this is some great information for me to start with, I will be looking for a hand wrapper for now and a dryer, can't wait to start. For now I'm going to try replacing some guides on some old rods for my dad so he can have some of his nicer rods back in his hands, so how would I go about getting the new finish to ad hear to the existing finish? I know to strip it off with little heat and a razor just up to where my new rap is going to end or just over that space but will the new finish need to overlap the old or just use enough to get the spot where I removed the old?

Mel Shimizu thanks you for informing me of my email setting, I was not aware of the issue. It has since bin taken care of thanks again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2015 10:01PM by Spencer Ortiz.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster