I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alps upgraded chuck dimensions
Posted by: Justin Benjamin (166.181.82.---)
Date: July 31, 2015 02:09AM

Can someone out there give me the measurements from the bottom of the headstock (where it would mount to the railing) to the center of the chuck?

I am waiting for my headstock/chuck assembly to show up and need measurements to utilize for making the rod supports on a homemade wrapper.

Any information is greatly appreciated,

Thank You

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alps upgraded chuck dimensions
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: July 31, 2015 07:43AM

4.29 INCHES or 109 CM

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2015 08:28AM

I recently received one of the Alps upgraded headstock and chuck.

All that I can say - Great - Alps has hit a home run with the release and sale of this chuck.

Very very high quality and it should work very very well for all uses in the rod building wrapper field.

The head stock appears to be a Taig industrial headstock with the Alps name printed on the side. The chuck appears to be a copy of with some slight modifications to the Taig 3 jaw machine shop chuck. Great work on the jaws with the end of the jaw shaping and jaw covers that use a screw per jaw to hold the covers in place to protect the rod grips from the pressure of the aluminum jaws.

Great job, keep up the excellent products.

Be safe

Posted by: Justin Benjamin (166.181.81.---)
Date: July 31, 2015 08:56AM

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the help.

I will be posting pictures of the finished product when it is completed.

It will be similar to Renzetti, except using a different type of extrusion for the base plate.

Posted by: steve schuster (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2015 01:42PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently received one of the Alps upgraded
> headstock and chuck.
>
> All that I can say - Great - Alps has hit a home
> run with the release and sale of this chuck.
>
> Very very high quality and it should work very
> very well for all uses in the rod building wrapper
> field.
>
> The head stock appears to be a Taig industrial
> headstock with the Alps name printed on the side.
> The chuck appears to be a copy of with some slight
> modifications to the Taig 3 jaw machine shop
> chuck. Great work on the jaws with the end of the
> jaw shaping and jaw covers that use a screw per
> jaw to hold the covers in place to protect the rod
> grips from the pressure of the aluminum jaws.
>
> Great job, keep up the excellent products.
>
> Be safe

I agree Roger, with one exception:
After tightening the two halves of the chuck onto the blank, the set screw to hold down the chuck is in a spot that only allows a half turn at a time of the short provided allen wrench. Very annoying in my opinion.
I use a slightly tweaked 8" "T" handle allen wrench to overcome the issue.
Now, if this unit just came with a reversible dc gearmotor, they would have something to be reckoned with.

Date: July 31, 2015 07:25PM

Steve,
I am a bit surprised. I did not even notice the set screw until you mentioned it.

Do you actually need the set screw to hold the chuck at a given setting. I realize that the set screw is there to give a positive lock, but I know that all of the other similar design chucks don't have a set screw and I have never wished to have one.

Have you tried using the chuck without making the set screw tight?

Be safe

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: July 31, 2015 08:01PM

G'Day Roger I have one of the early upgraded chucks without the set screw. There was a problem that I had of the blank dropping out of the chuck, until I realised it was due to either the supports not in line with the chuck & it wasn't parallel to the centre line of the chuck .After I sat down & measured those two thing I found my blanks were not being set up parallel to the centre line . I now have a laser to stet the hight of the blank to be on the centre line & have nil problems since .I think the sets screw was a knee jerk reaction to the problem of the initial set up

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Date: July 31, 2015 08:16PM

By the way, if one ever has an issue with a grip coming out of any of these sort of chucks, particularly when drying; just take a rubber band and wrap it several times around the grip before putting the grip into the chuck.

The rubber band supplies a non slip cushion for the chuck and the grip and even if misaligned, the grip will not come out of the chuck, unless you loosen the chuck.

Be safe

Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: August 01, 2015 08:19AM

I don't use the set screw on mine and haven't needed to. If I need some extra assurance I will tape a 10 Inch peice of 3/4 masking tape over the outside circumference covering both halves.

Posted by: Lee Harrelson (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 02, 2015 06:17AM

I did not know mine had a set screw until this thread. Mine has worked perfect for several months now.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster