I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

restoration
Posted by: Martyn Taylor (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: July 29, 2015 03:08PM

Hi everyone.
A friend of mine has asked me to restore an old St. Croix rod he picked up at a flee market! Mudhole seems to have most of the components that I will need but I do have a couple of questions. I have no idea how old the rod is, the St. Croix sticker is really beat up and the only other markings on the rod is the size 6' 6", lure weight and the name Carboloy on it. The thread work appears to have been finished with varnish and it looks like there was a gold foil underlay under the thread work. Would it have been finished with varnish and would anyone know where I could find the foil underlay?

Martyn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: restoration
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: July 29, 2015 05:59PM

funny you ask about the foil underlay. I know that it was popular in the 70's and early 80's and it is pretty darn hard to find nowadays. I had a request to rebuild an older Berkley rod and it was just way too much of a pain in the butt to try and match the original foil wrap. I do know that Bingham had a bit of it in the past but it has been a while since I have asked her about it.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 29, 2015 06:08PM

Merrick once carried it and therefore it's possible that Mud Hole obtained some in their buyout. But I you should call/email and ask as it might not be in their catalog.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2015 06:12PM

Martyn,
Since the rod was picked up at a flea market and thus has no sentimental attachment to the rod, why don' t you suggest that the rod be stripped and rebuilt using modern and typical components for use on today's rods.

The rod has essentially 0 value and after rebuilding will have 0 value as well. It however, could be a nice rod for catching some fish if the person decides to use it for fishing.

--
On the other hand, if the person is asking that you restore it to be a piece of art hanging on the wall, and if you can find the components to restore it to what it was when it was built. Go for it. But at the end of the day, it will still likely be a rod with 0 value.

You could strip the rod and rebuild the rod with components from rods of today for about $20 or so in total components. $10 if you are just replacing the guides with functional guides.

Be safe

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 29, 2015 06:15PM

If you aren't trying to match the color exactly, the gold metallic ink jet media from Papillo should work well. You can cut it to size, and be able to have plenty of material in a single sheet. If you are doing a full restoration, it should look good as the color will be consistent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2015 06:16PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: July 30, 2015 02:32PM

One option I have used with good results is just using gold or silver paint under the threadwork. It really makes the colors pop.

Posted by: Martyn Taylor (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: July 30, 2015 03:54PM

Thanks for the advice and yes the rod would still be worth $0 as Roger mentioned but this friend would like it as close to original as possible and I will do my best. Some good tips on what to do. Thanks again for the input. Can always count on someone to have an opinion and advice.

Martyn

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2015 12:00PM

Martyn,
I suspected that the statement from your friend to restore the rod to its original state might have been the case. Some great tips to do the job. Good luck on the restoration.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster