I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod blank input. Trolling for Musky and King Macks.
Posted by: Doug Goar (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: July 29, 2015 10:30AM

I posted this under another topic that is older and didn't get any response so I'm re-posting. I'm new on this board and will learn how it operates as far as time passed so here goes.

I'm going to build a trolling rod for a dual purpose. King Macks here in Pensacola Florida and Musky when I take my annual trip to Northern Minnesota & Canada. I found a blank that I think I want to work off from and I'd appreciate any input. The blank is made by United Composites and is a GUSA DHX US85 Monster. Specs are 8'6" long, MOD action, 30-60 line weight, 1 piece, 1-8 oz lures, 8.5 tip, .800 butt, cost $153.35 + shipping. I'd appreciate your comments and input. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod blank input. Trolling for Musky and King Macks.
Posted by: steve george (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 29, 2015 02:53PM

That blank is a beast and longer than most use for trolling. United Composites makes great blanks and has something that will work. The CP70H would be my choice.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 29, 2015 04:09PM

Hello Doug.

I do not know much about Musky, but I have caught kings from a few ounces (Minnows caught on a Sabiki bait rigs) to over 50 pounds and have 3 rods for catching keeper sized (24+"):

1: MudHole MHX-FP76, 7'6", 12-30#, Butt: 610, Tip: 6.5, American Tackle A Frame Ring Lock BTRLA-20, -12, & 7 -6'S, With an American Tackle HHRLLT-6-6.5 Tip Top. Baitrunner 450 with 30# Braid. (For 20# & Under)

2: Seeker GTS 70L, 7' 2" With fighting Butt, 15-30#, Butt:.645, Tip: 7.5, American Tackle Titan NIRLC-12,-8, & 7 -6'S, With an American Tackle TTRLT-8-7.5 Tip Top. TLD 20 or 25 with 30# or 50# Braid. (For 20# & Over)

3: Rainshadow SW967-M, 8', 15-25#, Butt: .680, Tip: 7, American Tackle Titan NIRLC-20,-10, & 6 -6'S, With a Pac Bay CFM4CT-4-7.0 Tip Top. TLD 15 or 20 with 30# Braid. (For 20# & Over)

NONE of these will work as listed from the shore or from a non mobile platform unless you get a smaller king on one of the larger rods, you have to be able to follow if you run out of line, these rods were built to fight big fish with relatively light gear from a boat slow trolling or float or drift fishing.

P.S. Anything over about 40# is going to take a while and when you do get it in you will know you were in a fight!!!

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: July 30, 2015 06:23AM

Very little experience with salmon, but lot's with musky casting and trolling rods. I'd say 8'0" is long enough, and power would depend on the baits you are pulling - 6" minnow type baits or some of the 12"-15" monster crankbaits.

I prefer to fish the "normal" side of baits, and the Rainshadow SW967-M would do a really nice job, and still be enjoyable to catch fish on.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 31, 2015 09:06PM

Been fishing for king mackeral for fifty years. Like a rod with a limber tip and a strong butt section. For me that equates to a live bait blank.

Have recently played around with musky blanks as a bottom fishing rod for bigger snapper/smaller grouper.

Couldn't think of two blanks so totally different. Hard pressed to see how any one blank could be good at both.

So I'd be having two rods and not one. Seeker CLB for kingfish and St. Croix for the musky blank. Plenty of other good choices of course.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 01, 2015 12:55PM

Hello Russ.

Which CLB do you like, the 804 or 806 or?.

I have built on the 806 a couple of times, and seems a good rod also, I have not tried the 804, if you have tried it, how well does it work for the 40+# kings? and what reel and line do you match up to it?

Thanks.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 01, 2015 05:48PM

If your kingfish average 40# I'd go with the 806/708. For kingfish I tend to go a little lighter on the line and let the fish make a nice long inital run. So I'm looking for line capacity and a good drag. For trolling I think the Avet reels offer nice value.

Kingfish down here have gotten much smaller...something in the teens is now a decent fish. My current outfit for them is rclb80xl paired with a penn 525 mag....have it spooled with 17# pline. Also have a rclb70ml paired with avet lx and 30# pline as a general purpose trolling rod. That might be closer to suiting your needs.

Lots of good live bait blanks out there.....just not thinking the average musky blank would be the right tool for kingfish.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 02, 2015 01:10PM

Thanks Russ.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster