I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

photographing rods
Posted by: marty mulcairn (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: July 28, 2015 09:53AM

I always struggle to take decent pics of my rod builds - closeups are fine but i just cant get a decent pic of the whole rod.

Do i need a wide angle lens or is there a trick or two to decent pics?

Any tips gladly received!

cheers
marty

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: photographing rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2015 11:56AM

A wide angle lens will let you get the whole rod without having to pull away so much, but in the end the result is about the same. The fact is, trying to photograph the rod, end to end, results in a photograph that isn't going to show much detail in any particular portion of the rod. If you'll notice in the RodMaker Photo Gallery, I generally put in the builder's full rod photo, then bracket it with close-ups of the handle, decorative wrap and butt guide areas. It's the only way to really good get views of those smaller areas.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 28, 2015 12:37PM

Marty,

When you figure out what works best for you to take photos of your custom rods, we suggest submitting your photos to Mud Hole for our annual 2016 Calendar Contest and you might win some $$$ for your efforts. Read all about the Calendar Contest on the link below:
[blog.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 29, 2015 03:39PM

the best thing to do, is to take one long shot overall picture of the rod, and then take about 4 or 5 close up pictures of the grip, reel seat, various guides and the tip.

When you want great detail on something that is only a couple of inches long and you have a rod that is 9 feet long, you can not do justice to either.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 29, 2015 05:24PM

I think that any rod or pictures look better with - Out side light _ Don't think anyone has made a blab better the natural light

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 30, 2015 12:41AM

what exactly makes a "decent" photo of the entire rod by your definition and how do yours fall short? using a wide angle lens helps, but if you're not careful, it may have some distortion. people will ask, hey, how come it's bent at the end(s)?!

a photo showing the entire rod is useful, but it's limited too. detail shots really show off the rod. in my mind, an overall shot of the rod is secondary.

outside light has its own drawbacks, it's not the perfect answer. you can photograph a rod with flash in a manner which doesn't look like it was shot with flash. this is my preferred method. but it takes tricks.

what the heck is a "blab"?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 30, 2015 07:01AM

SORRY - BULB lol

the glass housing, in which a partial vacuum has been established, that contains the filament of an incandescent electric lamp.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster