I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tight threads
Posted by: phil ayers (50.58.79.---)
Date: July 28, 2015 07:57AM

I am new at this so bear with me this is only my 4th rod. I am building a rod for my granddaughter and I checked all the wraps good before applying the epoxy. After adding the epoxy I noticed the wraps seem to open up and not look tight. What am I doing wrong or not doing at all? Phil Ayers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tight threads
Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2015 10:47AM

Follow your winding thread with a packing tool. Then burnish the threads after wrapping. Shouldn't see gaps again.

Tight Lines!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 28, 2015 10:52AM

Before you put finish on - did you try to move the guides If so and they moved Easily they are loose They should move with some force

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 28, 2015 11:28AM

I do follow with the packing tool and burnish the threads, the guides seem tight but I usually don't have to move them much. It seems like the epoxy shrinks the tread, that is just the way it looks. I don't see this when I am applying the epoxy it is after it is applied should I try to make the wrap tighter I am using A thread and I have had the tread fray so I am not making them as tight. I put the epoxy on and thirty min. later I see a cap. Its on a pink rod, its for my 2yr old grand daughter, and it seem to show between the treads.

Date: July 28, 2015 11:54AM

I would think that you should get a piece of scrap blank and do some wraps with difference tightness Finish them and see what happens
If when you pack if the thread seems like it wants to Return after pushing it It is to loose
make sure your guide feet are tapered nicely I hit my guides with 220 dry sandpaper Thinking the feet are kind of ruff and the thread will move yet the roughness will hold them in place

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 28, 2015 11:58AM

Phil,

I have tried using some threads from the local yardage store and applied CP to the wraps before epoxying the wraps. As soon as the threads had the CP applied the became fuzzy. I too was building a rod for my grandchild. I removed the guides and rewarped them with a different thread and all was fine. Perhaps the thread type is causing your problem. I know you probably don't want to think about it but maybe a rewrap with a different thread would solve the problem Based on what you said above, threat tension doesn't appear to be causing the problem.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: July 28, 2015 12:25PM

That is a good point about the guide feet, I use a file to get them down on the ends, I will sandpaper them good on the next build and see if that helps. Thanks to everyone. Phil Ayers

Date: July 28, 2015 12:43PM

Are you using regular nylon and no CP If so the thread will become transparent ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 29, 2015 07:17AM

I am using Pro Wrap color fast A, and no CP. I put a second coat on last night and it looks a little better to day. It is finished now so I have to live with it. Its a cheap rod buillt for my grand daughter and for me to get experience building. Learning is not cheap but that is what it takes.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: July 29, 2015 01:19PM

Using any light colored thread over a dark blank can result in the blank showing through tiny gaps. Using CP on a color fast or NCP thread will help. Tension, packing, burnishing (especially NCP because it tends to flatten out with burnishing) and CP can all help........or.........use darker colors.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster