I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod for a beginner
Posted by: Rex Mason (---.sangtx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 27, 2015 03:03PM

I have been asked to make a fly rod for a 55 year old beginner
this rod will be a no-frills 9' - 2 piece rod
rod will be used almost exclusively on a large private pond with plenty of room for a back cast
pond is stocked with black bass, crappie and blue gill
the client wants to learn how to handle a fly rod fishing this pond, but wants to hold this first rod cost to a minimum until he learns how to handle the rod.
he is planning a fishing trip to a resort with good trout fishing and the resort furnishes the tackle for clients as needed

Question 1: will a 6 wt rod be best or will a 7 wt rod be best for this beginner?

Question 2: What handle design will be best for a beginner who does not have access to a good selection of fly rods to check out various handle shape?
*- Full Wells Fly Grips
*- Reversed Half Wells Fly Grips
*- Cigar Fly Grips

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod for a beginner
Posted by: Nathan Moore (---.sub-70-208-4.myvzw.com)
Date: July 27, 2015 03:41PM

6 weight, in my opinion, will be more than adequate. Batson has some great blanks in the RX6 two piece line. I like the feel of a full wells grip on that particular weight rod. American tackle Matrix Blanks are also nice for beginners. I have built many on the Batson though and have been very satisfied.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 27, 2015 03:44PM

For all around use a 6-weight is quite versatile for a good number of freshwater species. I would select a fast action blank (no they are not harder to load, etc., than a slower action blank) of a reasonable performance level. One of the key in his being able to effectively learn to use the outfit will be proper lining of the rod. The line weight that would work best on a 6-weight rod on a narrow stream won't be the same line weight that will work best on his pond. As the rod builder make sure that the line you put on that rod, or advise be matched with it, is sufficient to load the rod at the distances he'll be fishing.

While it might not be the norm on mid-weight fly rods, the Full Wells or Western/Fenwick type, are grips styles that offer a lot of control for the angler.

Posted by: eric zamora (166.108.254.---)
Date: July 28, 2015 12:19AM

I was going to mention a Fenwick style grip. Not just good control, but often very comfortable.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: July 28, 2015 07:52AM

Karen at Bingham(sponsor at left) has a 6 wt 9ft 2 piece fly blank in her SHX range.

I have made up a few for the same purpose( good beginner rod with low cost) and at around $35 retail its a bargain.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 29, 2015 04:38PM

I hate to see beginning fly-fishers frustrated by sub-par equipment or sub-par instruction. Four-piece fly rods outsell every other type by a bunch - and for good reasons: convenience and performance. The best grip depends upon hand size. I would advise this customer to seek the advice of a competent fly-caster and test-cast a number of different lines and rods. The rod is no better than the line it is matched with.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 29, 2015 04:38PM

I hate to see beginning fly-fishers frustrated by sub-par equipment or sub-par instruction. Four-piece fly rods outsell every other type by a bunch - and for good reasons: convenience and performance. The best grip depends upon hand size. I would advise this customer to seek the advice of a competent fly-caster and test-cast a number of different lines and rods. The rod is no better than the line it is matched with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster