I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What would you charge .....
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 29, 2015 09:46AM

David
I like getting the small hard to wrap guides first Then as ya go to larger guides and thicker blank it gets easier I also wast time making the wraps as small as I can on the small runners and as I go down make them a little longer I think the rod looks better and the wraps tend to look the smame size cause of the thicker blank

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Paley (---.lightspeed.kscymo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 30, 2015 06:43PM

From skimming through the posts is seems you're building your business

Let me first state this before I get burned. I HAVE NEVER BUILT A ROD.
My expertise comes from selling quality vs price. I'm a tool peddler of high end assembly tools. My bread and butter is basically an impact wrench but with on board electronics to control torque. My price for an impact with all the bells and whistles is $1000 and that tool can only do about 75 Ft/Lbs. I recently sold 1000 of these to a one location of very large manufacturer. They purchase these because I proved over the years they'll pay for them in 6 months or less. Total quality sale. No quantity discounts.

OK back to rods. I just received my first custom rod that I'll keep. The very first was a travesty of errors. Just believe it. Rejected without so much as mounting the reel. Disgusting experience. Also believe I don't try to negotiate. If I can afford it I buy it. Some things I know I can't afford so I don't ask. This one soured me on custom rods for 30 years while all along I'm buying top end production rods.

Bill Falconer has got it right. If you're not yet in that league and just fishing for rates, what I'd do starting out is take a look at production rod prices with same or similar components and add around 50%. That in my opinion should cover you for a while. The big boys have the money to research the market, its a good starting point. I'm assuming here there's a better price for you guys than if I wanted to buy the components. As you gain reputation you can raise the price. Bill mentions controlling demand with price. That's sound advise too. How many rods do you want to make or can you make. What is your goal. Full time living at this or build vacation money. The other advise Bill gave is "Are you losing orders that you wanted" if not you're too cheap. If so you need to think about it.

Posted by: Tom Paley (---.lightspeed.kscymo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 30, 2015 06:59PM

From skimming through the posts is seems you're building your business

Let me first state this before I get burned. I HAVE NEVER BUILT A ROD.
My expertise comes from selling quality vs price. I'm a tool peddler of high end assembly tools. My bread and butter is basically an impact wrench but with on board electronics to control torque. My price for an impact with all the bells and whistles is $1000 and that tool can only do about 75 Ft/Lbs. I recently sold 1000 of these to a one location of very large manufacturer. They purchase these because I proved over the years they'll pay for them in 6 months or less. Total quality sale. No quantity discounts.

OK back to rods. I just received my first custom rod that I'll keep. The very first was a travesty of errors. Just believe it. Rejected without so much as mounting the reel. Disgusting experience. Also believe I don't try to negotiate. If I can afford it I buy it. Some things I know I can't afford so I don't ask. This one soured me on custom rods for 30 years while all along I'm buying top end production rods.

Bill Falconer has got it right. If you're not yet in that league and just fishing for rates, what I'd do starting out is take a look at production rod prices with same or similar components and add around 50%. That in my opinion should cover you for a while. The big boys have the money to research the market, its a good starting point. I'm assuming here there's a better price for you guys than if I wanted to buy the components. As you gain reputation you can raise the price. Bill mentions controlling demand with price. That's sound advise too. How many rods do you want to make or can you make. What is your goal. Full time living at this or build vacation money. The other advise Bill gave is "Are you losing orders that you wanted" if not you're too cheap. If so you need to think about it.

BTW I paid $550 shipped for a med light spinning rod with Torzite guides Legend Elite blank and builders really cool custom grip. After I test drive it and like it, which I'm sure I will I'll be getting a step lighter one.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2015 08:47AM

Roger, thank you very much for the additional response, and the time saving tips. They are very much appreciated. So far I've only built two rods that are same, and the second build went much quicker. Mostly because of some tips I had seen given you and others, in other threads on this site.

For instance, the use of stretchable thread to secure the guides while doing static testing, shaved at least 20 minutes off the process. I've also started using bright yellow braided line for the static load testing and for final guide alignment, just before the first coat of finish is applied. I've been working on setting up a table and proper lighting in a spare bed room that will help the process as well.

Bill, thank you as well for your additional response. The thing I think I am going to like the most about trying your order of guide wrapping is, as you said, I will be getting the toughest guides to wrap, out of the way first. I still struggle with guides near the tip and the wrap behind the tip top itself. I need to come up with a way to stop the tip from flexing due to thread tension. Any suggestions?

And Tom Paley. Thank you for your response as well. It is much appreciated. I'm not really trying to build a rod building business. At least I have no plans to do such a thing. My main reason for starting this thread was to satisfy my own personal curiosity, and the curiosity of friends and family. And while I had an idea of how much labor costs would be from talking to one of this sites members about building me a rod a couple of years ago, it wasn't the same type of rod, and I wanted to have an idea of a price to give my tournament buddy, if I decide to build him a rod.

My plans to build rods for others may change in the future, but for now, my plans are just to replace most of the factory rods I own, with rods that I've built. I've built 5 rods so far, so that means I have at least 8 more to build for myself, with the possibility of building one or two for friends, and possibly another couple for family.

As far as the rod you just purchased goes. I'm sure you will like it as well. It sounds like it would be a very sweet rod. Torzite guides? Some day I hope to have the money to buy a set of those. LOL

Thanks again to everyone that responded. I truly do appreciate each of you taking the time to help me out.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 31, 2015 09:18AM

David

Ease off on the thread tension The thread does not hold a guide so it is there just for looks and you can go easier

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster