I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Suggestion for Whiting
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2015 01:16PM

Looking for a blank for whiting, aka kingfish up north. Will be fishing high low rig and using sand fleas and pieces of shrimp. I will be fishing the surf along the southeast coast of NC, and usually with the current need 3oz of weight to hold bottom and keep in feeding hole. Distance is not a concern. This will be built as a spinning rod using 12 or 15lb fluro. I was looking at Batson ISA Steelhead 1086F rated 3/4 - 3 oz with mod-fast action. Not sure if a mod-fast action will work on the whiting since most of these will weigh from 3/4 lb to 2lbs.

Thanks,
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2015 02:05PM by Roger Rierson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Suggestion for Whiting
Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2015 01:50PM

I haven't seen any Batson steelhead blanks rated for 3/4 - 3oz. Do you have a link?

Date: July 26, 2015 02:01PM

Schneiders Rod Shop. Sponsors on the left.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 02:16PM

Roger my favorite time to fish the surf is during the fall and winter down here in Texas. I normally set some surf rods out for redfish and a couple for whiting. Due to my age, it is hard for me to cast a surf rod. I am going to build a couple of rods using Batson SW 967-F blanks. I will bait one with mullet for reds and one with shrimp for whiting. These blanks are rated 3/4 to 4 oz. I have built two of these for my son and really like them. They are very versatile blanks. Try one.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 26, 2015 02:17PM

Roger, when you do make a decision and build the rod, please let us know how it turned out for your. or email me direct.

Thanks,
Buzz

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2015 02:31PM

Roger, the reason that I asked for a link is here's the specs for that blank on Batson's website:

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 03:58PM

Roger I live on the outer banks . In my opinion your to light to cover all situations . If your throwing 3 0z you have not considered the bait, wind or current. Most guys throw 4 to 5 oz plus bait. That is for calm surf and sunny days . I would consider a rod that could handle a 5 weight sinker . To really get out there there are groups that 11 and 12 ft rods and 5weights plus bait. 10 to11ft medium heavy is fine no shorter. Ive used many Batson Rods and they are excellent . They have gone out of the salt water line of rods.There are great reviews on Tommy Farmer rods and I use them. Joe Moore in Avon NC sells blanks and rods. I know of a few fisherman who have bought whiting rods and they are very pleased. He a good guy to talk to ,very knowledgeable. If I can be of any more help Im glad to answer all questions. PS Im sure there are some left over Batsons at excellent prices still advailable.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 04:20PM

Check out Rodgeeks on the left

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2015 04:44PM

I would check out the Rodgeeks 9 or 10 foot surf blanks rated 1-4 ounces. Also The Anglers Workshop IM6 8'6" steelhead blank 1-4 ounces which I am about positive is made by Talon in the USA for them. I mainly fish the northern outer banks near Nags Head where the current is usually much stronger than the southeastern section of NC and with taller waves. The length of the rod for your situation also depends if you plan to do bait and wait in a rod holder where a longer rod helps to keep the line higher off the breakers or a shorter rod for holding in hand to feel the bite.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 04:54PM

Also if you are throwing 3 oz - plus bait - you are throwing more then 3 oz's

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2015 06:00PM

Yeah unless you plan to use it for 1-2 ounce lures as well I would go with the 2-6 ounce rating for more versatility. Even at 10'6" it is still light enough to hold in hand.

Date: July 26, 2015 08:15PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Jerry, I found those specs after i posted. I wonder why Schneiders Rod Shop has the specs rated higher.
Bill Cohen, I have considered the Tommy Farmer rods, i have heard good reviews. Most of the whiting i catch around Kure Beach and Fort Fisher are close in.
David, I usually hold the rod when fishing and put in sand spike when baiting up when i am fishing for the whiting so i can feel the bite
Again thanks for all the suggestions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2015 08:23PM by Roger Rierson.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 27, 2015 05:53PM

Sorry about that, there is an error in our listing.
The correct suggested weight for the ISA1086F is 1/2 to 1& 1/2 oz.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster