I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Lathe Motor
Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 11:00AM

I have been designing and building rod lathes for several years now. My last lathe used an old sewing machine motor using the foot pedal that came with it and a dimmer switch you use on an overhead light in your house to give me finer control over the motor speed. It works OK, but still not the control I would like. I use 12V DC gear motors for my drying rack, also with variable speed control. I normally use 50-60 rpm motors and control the rotation rate with the speed controller. I use the same setup on the lathe I use for applying epoxy. I use old portable power supplies like the kind used on Laptop computers as my power supply.

So my question is, would a 12VDC gear motor provide enough torque to use on my rod lathe? I think it would and also give me the precise speed control I need. I was also considering a 24V gear motor I just picked up from a salvage yard.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Lathe Motor
Posted by: Rob Warren (---.east.dsl.telkomsa.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 05:22PM

Hi John Regarding the rod lathe I developed a problem running a sewing machine setup similar to the one described as regards power(some of the rods I am building are 16ft sglass and hmg for our local fisherman out here in south Africa) Solved this problem by using a washing machine motor @ about 100rpm and then used a belt driven reducer ratio 1:5 retained the foot controller and dimmer switch.Now have pinpoint lathe control.Another thing I did is to use microwave motors on my drying machines They are cost effective and produce heeps of torque for these big rods rotation speeds 6/9 rpm.For redundancy I can run these motors from a 12v battery(car) and thru a small 500w inverter.these machines altho home built continue to serve me well about 400 rods built on this setup so far.Hope this helps
Rob

Date: July 26, 2015 05:48PM

John Wright1945 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been designing and building rod lathes for
> several years now. My last lathe used an old
> sewing machine motor using the foot pedal that
> came with it and a dimmer switch you use on an
> overhead light in your house to give me finer
> control over the motor speed. It works OK, but
> still not the control I would like. I use 12V DC
> gear motors for my drying rack, also with variable
> speed control. I normally use 50-60 rpm motors
> and control the rotation rate with the speed
> controller. I use the same setup on the lathe I
> use for applying epoxy. I use old portable power
> supplies like the kind used on Laptop computers as
> my power supply.
>
> So my question is, would a 12VDC gear motor
> provide enough torque to use on my rod lathe? I
> think it would and also give me the precise speed
> control I need. I was also considering a 24V gear
> motor I just picked up from a salvage yard.
>
> Thanks.

Great solution. Can you use the dimmer on the washing machine motor? I thought they were split phase not universally wound?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 06:45PM

John,
I have been building dc powered rod wrappers for some time. I use small 37 mm 24 volt gear motors. I normally use 1000 rpm motors having a 6mm output shaft and then 1:1 pulleys on the motor and on the headstock to give a maximum rod turning speed of 1000 rpm.
Perfect.

I can easily turn at 1 rpm for very precise start up and control. Also with the use of DC, reverse is just a matter of swapping the voltage leads to the motor which can be easily done with a cross wired double pole double throw switch.

But, this motor and motor rpm is NOT suitable for doing any sort of grip shaping work. This small motor is strong enough for any sort of rod wrapping, but it is certainly not powerful enough or fast enough to do any grip shaping.

I do all of my grip shaping on a conventional 1/2 hp wood lathe which easily turns and shapes at speeds from 1000-4000 rpm.

The speed control that I use these days is a simple inexpensive dc pulse width speed control which gives excellent control with no loss in starting torque.

The size of these motors are small. 37 mm or about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and about 2 inches long.

No reason to use any motor larger in size or with more power since it is very adequate for any sort of wrapping or drying chore.

I use a surplus musician's pedal for holding the element that is used to control the speed of the motor.

Here is a picture of the current power head that I use on my rod wrapper:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

The motor is inside the split pvc tube that is under the 1/2 inch keyless chuck that I use to hold a piece of solid stock for wrapping, or to hold the shank on which I have a 3 inch machine shop chuck mounted for holding rods that have butt caps on them.
The motor is simply mounted in a snug fitting hole in the vertical mount and then the belt tension is adjusted by rotating the motor with its offset output shaft, and locking it in the appropriate position. I use XL cogged pulleys and belts so that I can run the belts nice and loose and not have any belt tension subtract from the power of the motor.

By the way, the 24 volt power supply that I use has enough power to be able to turn a 24 volt cordless drill motor. So, I took an old 24 volt drill, stripped it down to the bare motor , gear case and chuck and mounted it into a wood base. This gear case has a high and low speed, so I can run it at 500 rpm max speed, or 1500 max speed in high gear. For the few times that I want to do some minor touch up on a grip, this drill motor has plenty of power to shape any handle material. But with a limited top speed, it is certainly not as good or as fast as my wood lathe. Then, if I want ultra control, I can shift to low gear on the motor and have a top 500 rpm speed, which works very well for drying or for very slow wrapping or teaching others about wrapping. The one big downside for continuous use of the drill motor for wrapping is the gear noise. Since this is a heavy duty drill with heavy duty gears; the running drill motor is quite noisy. I have had it for a long time and it was old when I first started using it. Right now, it is on its last legs, and I may or may not replace it with a new drill motor in the future.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

To supply adequate power to this motor, I started making a power supply using parts from an old electronic church organ. The voltage is the same for both the drill motor as well as my wrapping motor, so they are interchangeable with a simple unplug one connector and plug in the other motor connector.

By the way, I use the industrial keyless chuck on my wrapping motor as well as the industrial machine shop chuck, because I had nearly all of the different "rod building chucks" and found that I didn't care for each of the shortcomings of the various other chucks.

Be safe

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2015 07:01PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 08:50PM

Roger did one for me and it works GREAT! the Foward and Reverse are Very Handy

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.static.hvvc.us)
Date: July 26, 2015 10:05PM

How is Roger listed in the sponsor column? I can't find anything on this.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 27, 2015 07:33AM

Click on his name and you will get his email

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 27, 2015 11:29PM

Roger,

Thanks. I appreciate the information. Where did you get your drill chucks?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster