I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Magnetic Thread Tensioner
Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 01:29AM

Can someone explain how to make one of these magnetic thread tensioner? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Magnetic Thread Tensioner
Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 03:59AM

G'Day John I use magnetic Tensioners on my wrapper .I use 2 ring magnets with the magnetic poles axially opposed .They have a 6 mm hole in the centre & fit on a 6 mm stainless steel rod the magnetic force is opposed to put pressure on the thread spool & my locking system is a 6 mm drill stop & locked on with a allen key .I run my thread tension at 101 grams purely because I find that it's tight enough to stop the guide being knocked out of position & loose enough to move if I have to .If you like drop me an email & I can send you some photos .I've found this system to be better than the friction setup I used to run

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 09:05AM

Barry,
Hi.
I have the commercial one that uses various thickness paper between the two magnets to allow the tension to be adjusted. But I think I like your idea better and would like to experiment with it.
I will send you my email also if you don't mind.
Herb

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2015 09:19AM

See Richard Sprouls' post here:
[rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 09:49AM

Jerry,
Thanks.
Herb

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 10:06AM

Barry Chapman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> G'Day John I use magnetic Tensioners on my wrapper
> .I use 2 ring magnets with the magnetic poles
> axially opposed .They have a 6 mm hole in the
> centre & fit on a 6 mm stainless steel rod the
> magnetic force is opposed to put pressure on the
> thread spool & my locking system is a 6 mm drill
> stop & locked on with a allen key .I run my thread
> tension at 101 grams purely because I find that
> it's tight enough to stop the guide being knocked
> out of position & loose enough to move if I have
> to .If you like drop me an email & I can send you
> some photos .I've found this system to be better
> than the friction setup I used to run

Barry,

Thanks, I'll send you my email address. Sounds like exactly what I was looking for.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 03:08PM

Consider a set of precisely calibrated weights, the desired one of which could be attached to a bobbin full of winding thread near the floor with the wrapping thread passing through a pulley on the ceiling. That would provide the most precise, unvarying thread wrapping tension, bar none.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 04:27PM

I have a spring so I can back off the thread and still keep tension on When wrapping if the thread goes from the eye too the rod and is streight it has more then enought tension

In other words test and you will figure out how things look when tension is GOOD You will have to learn the machine

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: July 27, 2015 11:44AM

If you would like to drop me a line at docski377@aol.com I can also send pictures and links to where you can get some really powerful magnets. Been using them for quite some time and really love the set up ----- very smooth. I have three set ups, two with 5 stations and one with three. Also have one that holds 8 spools that fits on my powerwrap and my alps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster