I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for thread
Posted by: Frank Budo (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 25, 2015 01:51PM

I am trying to find a spool of alternating orange and black wrapping thread, size A-D. I am restoring a 50's era rod for a client and cannot locate this combo. I don't know the thread brand but I measured the pattern and it repeats 18" orange and 8" black. Any help or guidance is appreciated.
Frank Budo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for thread
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 25, 2015 02:11PM

look anything like this
[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2015 02:35PM

Are you sure the rod was not wrapped with two different spools of thread, I have never seen a spool that had 18" of orange and 8" of black. Most of the variegated spools have equal amounts of orange and black twisted together.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2015 03:38PM

Frank,

It's possible that Dennis Danku may have some. He sent me the remnants of a 50 yd spool in that combo in size D when I was in need of another shade of orange in NCP, and he had just what I was looking for. Mine appears to alternate between about 1' black and 3' orange. If you can't find it elsewhere, you are welcome to mine. The only issue is that I can't guarantee that there is enough to do a complete rod, because I have no idea how much is left on the spool.

Joe

Date: July 25, 2015 03:45PM

Bill,
It's not that style. Just alternating colors. I have what you suggested.
Thanks

Date: July 25, 2015 03:49PM

I thought that at first but after deconstruction I observed what I described. This rod may be even older than described to me!

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 25, 2015 04:10PM

Frank
I may have just the vintage thread you are looking for. I will have to try to locate it tomorrow and let you know!
Rog

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: July 25, 2015 04:30PM

Frank
I have located the orange / black thread and it differs slightly from what you are looking for. I have 2 full small (50yd. ?) wood spools marked size D, but the repeating pattern is 36" bright orange and 8" black. I also have a large wood spool (unmarked) of what seems to be size D with a repeating pattern of 18" orange and 24" black. If either of these will help email me.
Rog

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 25, 2015 04:36PM

Sounds like the two drifferent colors of thread used So many turns of orange then black added may be that simple Got a picture of a wrap

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2015 05:51PM

Boy, I thought I had seen it all when it comes to rod winding thread. Never seen any like that in over 40 years. Live and learn!!

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 25, 2015 05:57PM

I'm sorry I can't help you with that color and pattern. Just so you know, Gudebrods term for that pattern is "space dye" and it comes in many combos of colors and space lengths. Other thread companys made "space dye" thread too but, only Gudebrod labeled it on their boxes as such.
Space dye'd thread is not as care free as varigated thread to wrap with because as the diameter of the blank becomes smaller, your pattern now becomes bolder. Also because of the spacing, you'll have to trial and error your guide wraps for balance of the spacing too.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2015 06:15PM by Dennis Danku.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: July 25, 2015 08:33PM

G'Day Frank If you have a look in a couple of retailers that handle embroidery thread you may find some .I use embroidery thread for everything & I have some variegated /space dyed thread, unfortunately none in orange / black . If you find some & decide to use it it is imperative to use CP or you could run into problems & as Denis pointed it is time consuming trying to repeat the pattern as the blank diameter reduces .If 1 of my customers requests a colour that is variegated I tell them it will cost more unless they are happy to take it as it comes of the spools

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2015 09:54PM

Dennis,

Good to know. I did find the spool of space dyed thread really interesting.

Joe

Date: July 26, 2015 12:34AM

Roger,
I sent you a email. Let me know if you did not get it.
Frank

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 01:56AM

Barry Chapman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> G'Day Frank If you have a look in a couple of
> retailers that handle embroidery thread you may
> find some .I use embroidery thread for everything
> & I have some variegated /space dyed thread,
> unfortunately none in orange / black . If you find
> some & decide to use it it is imperative to use CP
> or you could run into problems & as Denis pointed
> it is time consuming trying to repeat the pattern
> as the blank diameter reduces .If 1 of my
> customers requests a colour that is variegated I
> tell them it will cost more unless they are happy
> to take it as it comes of the spools

I had heard that embroidery thread had chemicals that interfered with the wrap coatings. What is your experience with them, because that would sure simplify my thread selection process.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 04:13AM

G'Day John I use embroidery threads for all my wrapping & have never had a problem in the 8 years iv'e been using them. The problem is with the silicon that is impregnated in the thread to make it run through the high speed embroidery machines . I always use CP on my threads & not once have I had a problem .The breaking strain is slightly lower than the A thread but it is only a couple of decimal points lower than the A thread .A couple of years ago the late Col Chasling & I sat down & measured the breaking strain & stretch of all the different brands in out collections using a sample of 10 spools of each & then averaged each brand out . I have the results on an Excel spreadsheet if you want a copy.

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Ernest Horvath (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 26, 2015 08:28PM

Frank, I have that thread in stock. It is from back in the 70's. I have size E, and the color leinghts are 24 inch black, 14 inch orange. If this will help you let me know. E.P.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster