I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bass fly rod
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 23, 2015 01:55PM

Interested in building one . Would like it to handle bass bugs up to a 1/4 oz have no idea about the line weight . . ANY and all information would be very useful. Fish will weigh up to 5# which is rare. thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bass fly rod
Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.cmts.dlh2.ptd.net)
Date: July 23, 2015 02:08PM

River or pond, build an 8 weight 9 foot fast action rod. Use bug taper line. It will throw a Clouser Minnow in the wind, along with poppers and what ever hairy thing you can find. It may seem a bit brutish, but, you will have power in the wind and control. Don't go smaller than an 8 wt. Just my .02!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2015 02:23PM

A 1/4 ounce bass fly or a jig? Not many bass flies are going to weigh anywhere close to 1/4 ounce.

Date: July 23, 2015 03:04PM

There are deer hair bugs that float on the water He speaks about throwing spinners and streamers Said he wanted the option to throw small plugs . I believe the small plugs are more of a ultra light rod application?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2015 03:07PM by Bill Cohen.

Date: July 23, 2015 03:49PM

Trying to use a rod with a fly line as a spinning rod would be tough. On the other hand, rigging it with a spinning reel and mono or braided line is certainly doable, although the dual use in this manner somewhat muddies the water as to which weight blank would be best.

Date: July 23, 2015 03:50PM

Trying to use a rod with a fly line as a spinning rod would be tough. On the other hand, rigging it with a spinning reel and mono or braided line is certainly doable, although the dual use in this manner somewhat muddies the water as to which weight blank would be best. An 8-weight line would make a fairly heavy bass bug rod, but would not easily cast 1/4 ounce lures on a spinning rig - it's much more powerful than most rods that are rated to cast 1/4 ounce lures. As an example, 30 feet of an 8-weight fly line weighs just over 1/2 ounce.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 23, 2015 04:26PM

Keep two reels with you One for fly and one for spinning
8 wt line over 16 equals 1/2 oz A quick way of checking

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 23, 2015 05:34PM

Bill,

That somewhat relates to lines, but not to rods. Not all 8-weight rods possess the same power.

Date: July 23, 2015 06:37PM

ok lets simplify things, a bass fly rod that will cast floating deer bugs and streamers and perhaps small spinners What weight fly line and all other info that would be useful thanks

Date: July 23, 2015 08:02PM

Anything from a 7-weight on up will cast those items and perhaps some small lures, in some fashion. A bag taper line, as mentioned previously, will help as it puts more line weight near the end of the line.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 23, 2015 11:30PM

Bill,
I have the perfect blank for you in stock.
CTS Elite SD 9'0", 4pc, lure weight 0.2 oz - 0.7oz.
Herb

Posted by: John Ashburn (107.77.87.---)
Date: July 23, 2015 11:31PM

I fly fish for Bass, both smallies and largemouth, a lot. My all around best rod is a 9' 8wt fast action rod. I use a lot of Clouser Minnows and Poppers and it works great with them. My blank of choice is CTS.
Hope this helps
John A.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 23, 2015 11:52PM

Hi John,
I think Bill wants to use a fly blank - or similar - to use as a casting rod for 1/4 oz lures.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster