I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod repair
Posted by: Jesse Wright (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 23, 2015 12:57PM

Howzit guys.
I had a buddy ask me to repair one of his old Teraz rods. The guide foots are all rusted and the plan is to remove all the old guides and underwraps and put on new guides in the acid wrap style.
I researched how to remove old guides and practiced on a old broken rod. When I went to remove the guides on the Teraz I started with the first guide closest to the reel seat. I was able to get the guide off just fine but having issues removing the underwraps. Ended up nicking the blank a little so I stopped.
My question is:
1. What's the best way to remove the underwraps without damaging the blank?
2. Is there anyway to repair the nick I made in the blank? Because it's nicked close to the reel seat and not in the working part of the rod should there be much concern about it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod repair
Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 23, 2015 01:12PM

You don't want to nick the blank. I have found that using heat from a hair dryer ( careful not to over heat ) will soften the epoxy enough so that I can pick at the thread with my fingernail and get a thread loose. Once loose, just keep adding heat and unravel the thread. I use the low setting on the hair dryer. Heat guns work but they produce a lot more heat so I don't use it. A small nick in the area you describe is most likely ok but it is better not to use the blade any further. Anyways, this is what I do.

Posted by: Jesse Wright (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2015 02:07PM

Looks like the rod got a coat of white epoxy on the blank before the guides were wrapped on. Seems I just nicked the white epoxy.
I think that's also why I'm having issues removing the old wraps.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2015 02:23PM

The FAQs page on this site details how to remove guides without damaging the rod blank.

Date: July 23, 2015 03:18PM

The under wraps were done in silver metallic thread after I pill the thread off the outer metallic stuff is left stuck to the white epoxy under coat. I'm using a fine grit sand paper and gently sanding that away. As long as I don't sand the actual blank this should be ok right?

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 23, 2015 07:22PM

I use a hairdryer and a good strong plastic knife.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: July 23, 2015 11:16PM

jesse
, I have used the scotchbrite pads to clean up those areas in the past.

Date: July 24, 2015 03:50AM

Thank you for the tip

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2015 12:08PM

Jesse,
I use a heat gun to first soften the finish, Then, I use a razor blade on the guide foot, to cut the thread, using the blade only against the metal guide foot, not the blank. Then, normally with a bit of gentle heat the epoxy will be soft enough to be able to unwrap the thread.

Then, I use the razor blade or knife, held perpendicular to the blank to scrape the softened remaining epoxy off of the blank. By holding the blade vertical and scraping, you do not run the risk of nicking or cutting into the blank. Normally the removal and cleanup takes about a minute per guide.

If working on a very fine tipped rod, I try to not use any heat at all if possible. Just a touch too much heat on a very small diameter rod tip, can destroy the epoxy and ruin the rod forever.

Be safe

Posted by: Jesse Wright (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 24, 2015 03:34PM

The rod is a 80-200 class.
Really apreciate all the advice, was able to cleanly remove old guides and underwraps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster