I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with build ideas
Posted by: Jamie Midgley (208.66.89.---)
Date: July 22, 2015 05:48PM

Hello all, several years ago I purchased a handful of All Star closeout blanks from Bingham Enterprises. The models are BAT 844 and GS/GC 784. All of these blanks are a matte dark blue in color. These rods all seem to be heavy action and my experience with conventional rods is very limited so I am not sure what would be good uses for them. As I am a flyfisherman pretty much exclusively I bought these blanks as more a chance to play around with different style builds.

My questions to everyone, what would be good uses for these rods?

Will they make good spinning rods or are would I be better served making them into casting rods?

Ultimately, I will either build them out slowly and give them away to family and friends or keep them and give them to my kids as they get older. I still would like to build them out to make the best use of the blanks just not sure what the best use is. I live in Kansas so they would basically be for pond bass fishing.

Thanks you,
Jamie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with build ideas
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2015 07:52PM

When you say heavy action, I think you mean heavy power, and even then it's a tough call because that sort of thing is subjective. They are likely to make good rods either spinning or casting. My guess would be that younger persons are better suited to spinning outfits off the bat so I'd go that way if I planned to build them out for family and/or friends.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2015 09:10PM

I think the matt blue blanks were IM10X blanks if I remember right, don't remember many 4 power blanks in the All Star catalog though, seemed to go from 3 to 5 power on most categories. Popping blanks being to exception, but they weren't heavy powered that I remember.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2015 09:21PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: July 22, 2015 11:25PM

Tom, you are correct, I meant power not action.

Spencer, if I recall correctly, and I no longer have the receipt, they were popping blanks. Probably meant for saltwater which there is an extreme shortage of where I live.

I'll try making one in each a spinning and casting setup and see how I like them and go from there. Maybe they can make good catfish rods for the kids.

You see threads about guys who have built rods for a long time and are trying their first flyrod and are lost, well I am the opposite. If you tell me 6 wt or 3 wt, skagit or scandi, full wells or reverse half wells I am all over it but the power ratings for conventional tackle mean nothing to me as I don't have the required experience with them. I tried perusing the CCS database but with the site change I did not notice any conventional rod data, only fly rods.

I have built one spinning rod for my dad several years ago on an old stock Shikari blank. Neat little rod and he caught his largest smallmouth ever with it.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Jamie

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2015 09:08AM

Popping blanks generally make good rods for light to medium freshwater fishing with plugs/lures/jigs etc., so there's an opportunity to use them for those type applications as well. And... a 4-power popping blank won't be nearly as powerful as say, a 4-power mag bass blank.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: July 23, 2015 10:22AM

Spencer, you are correct, they are the IM10X blanks! I still have a few of those laying around, I believe mine are the 726's. I will extend them once I can get some aluminum tubing.. I just haven't figured out where to get it.

Posted by: Miles Miller (---.lightspeed.mssnks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 23, 2015 08:44PM

They would be good for catfishing, but even better for power bass fishing! They would do great as a spinnerbait, crankbait, Zara spook, frogs etc.

Date: July 23, 2015 10:13PM

Miles, even better. I was hoping that the action would be conducive to bass fishing. I have six of these blanks so I figure that I will make 3 into spinning rods for the kids and the other three into casting rods. The 3 kids rods will be probably be pretty standard builds with full cork grips so they can two hand them. The 3 casting rods I will probably play around with and use split grips and possibly a spiral or revolver style guide layout.

Thanks everyone for the help, it gives me some direction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster