I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NCP Tratament
Posted by: Eliseu Cherene (---.petrobras.com.br)
Date: July 21, 2015 10:43AM

What is used in lines to make them as NCP?
I ask before the effective use of them

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NCP Tratament
Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 21, 2015 02:27PM

Eliseu Cherene Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is used in lines to make them as NCP?
> I ask before the effective use of them

If I understand your question correctly, There is nothing used to make NCP "lines", (thread), non-color preserved. Colorfast threads are treated, I believe, with something to make them less likely to change color when epoxy is applied. However, NCP thread is just that ....Non Color Preserved. NCP Thread will darken or become more transparent when epoxy is applied. Hopefully this will be helpful, if I understood your question correctly.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: July 21, 2015 02:59PM

Ncp thread is designed to retain it's spool color when epoxy is applied without the use of color preserver. ( Ncp= no color preserver.) Regular threads will darken or go transparent if epoxied over without using color preserver.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 21, 2015 04:58PM

For a nicer color use Regular nylon thread and 2 - 3 coats of CP Then finish You will come out with a nicer looking wrap
With NCP thread I still use at least one good coat of CP just to fill the thread and get rid of any air in the thread which can cause bubbles to form in the finish which requires heating the finish to get rid of them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.lightspeed.frokca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 21, 2015 05:43PM

If I am not mistaken, NCP thread is regular nylon thread that has been treated with a type of chalk or talcum powder thus it's flat color appearence

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 21, 2015 05:58PM

Ray, you are correct it is a chalk like substance.! I believe the original question was, (paraphrased) what is used to make them NCP?

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.relaybm.bell.ca)
Date: July 21, 2015 09:16PM

I have read that not using CP causes bubbles, several times on this board. I do not find this to be so.
Perhaps the authors are mistaken because they get bubbles in their nylon thread without CP.
I also do not find the NCP thread color to be dull, once the finish is applied..
Perhaps those who use nylon and CP are mistaken because they don't use actually use NCP thread.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 21, 2015 09:58PM

NCP doesn't have the sparkle that regular nylon thread has, with or without CP. It appears more like paint..

Date: July 22, 2015 05:08AM

Thanks to friends who responded. It helped me a lot, but would like to search further and find out if is to become an Thread NCP

Date: July 22, 2015 06:15AM

Analyzing some materials come to the conclusion that glue powder used in wallpapers can work. What do you think?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2015 07:58AM

Are you talking about making your own color preserver? The acrylic products on the market have proven to be about as good as it gets. Unless you simply do not have access to one of these current products, it makes little sense to go to the time and trouble to make your own.

Date: July 22, 2015 09:35AM

In Brazil there is much difficulty NCP lines. So I think to find out what is used to seal the line without without color preserver used nortmalmente.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2015 10:32AM

Eliseu,
Actually, technically there is no reason to ever use CP or thread sealer if you don't choose to use the product. By using finish correctly, it is easy to get perfect bubble free finishes on any thread that is used to wrap on guides without the use of a sealer on the thread.

Perhaps the thread will change color more than you might like with no CP on the thread; but then, one can always use a lighter colored thread to wrap on the guides before applying finish to obtain the desired final color.

The epoxy finish that is commonly used to coat the thread wraps on guides does an excellent job of "sealing" the thread as it is applied.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster