I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

soft finish
Posted by: phil ayers (50.58.79.---)
Date: July 06, 2015 08:15AM

I finished my third rod last Wed. and let it dry for 2 days. The finish seemed to be dry but soft. I was out of town over the 4th weekend and checked the rod Sunday. The finish is dry but soft, it leaves no finger prints when I touch it but seems soft to me. I posted earlier about thinking I had a problem with the epoxy but after microwaving it for 10 sec. it cleared was applied nicely. Will it get hard with more time or what can I do? Thanks Phil Ayers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: soft finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2015 08:33AM

If the mix was off by a little the final product can be slightly soft. And, some epoxies do not cure as hard as others. If it leaves no fingerprints when pressed, it's probably okay. Most finish epoxies take up to a week or so to arrive at their final cure and overall hardness.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 06, 2015 10:55AM

Phil, If not sticky, Put out in the sun on a 85 degree day if ya can, in a safe place. Just don't put one out their when sticky or you will have every bug in the world in-bedded, I made that dumb move years back when I just started building LOL. I also have had a coat that would not harden up. And would leave a finger print from not mixing enough or mix being off, So I re-coated with a second lite coat and made sure I had equal parts and was well mixed. It Hardened it all Right Up, that was 3 years back the rod still looks great. tight lines Jaa

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2015 11:34AM

Phil,
Jay is right on about ratio and mixing.
Be sure that you have exactly a 1:1 mix.
Then, be sure to mix slowly for at least 120 seconds or 2 minutes.

It is quite possible to mix for 30 or 40 seconds and it may appear that the finish is mixed up, but continue mixing for the full 120 seconds to be sure that every particle of part a mixes with part b.

I expect that if you do this in the future, you will not have finish issues.

Be safe

Date: July 06, 2015 02:27PM

Thanks to everyone and you are correct in thinking about the next time, I learn something every day and everyone here is great to me. Thanks Phil Ayers

Second coat of epoxy
Date: July 09, 2015 12:26PM

I poster earlier about the finish that was soft, It has been a week and still is a little soft not sticky just soft. Jay advised to apply a second lite coat. Is there anything I should do before I add the second coat?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster