I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

masking tape
Posted by: Robert Desrosier (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: July 02, 2015 10:40AM

cannot seem to get nice clean edge. can I use masking tape? if so what kind and how long do I leave before taking it off?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: masking tape
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 02, 2015 10:58AM

If you can up the RPM of the machine that will give you better edges Faster is some times better 40 - 50 RPM

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 02, 2015 11:31AM

Masking tape tends to draw or wick finish into and under itself.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 02, 2015 12:03PM

The way we do it.
1) Load the brush with finish
2) With the rod rotating at a pretty fast clip as mentioned touch the brush to the middle of the wrap
3) apply pressure without moving the brush and you should see a "ball" of finish appear on each side of the brush
4) hold the pressure and "push" the "ball" toward the edge of the wrap (still turning fast)
5) the "ball" will work off the end of the thread and onto the blank. If your RPMs are right it will form a perfect edge.
6) without changing pressure on the brush move it back where it came from in the center of the wrap.
7) slowly reduce the pressure on the brush and move finish around until all is smooth and level
8) NEVER touch that edge again. Don't go near it. No touch ups allowed.

Experiment.

Posted by: Scott Strength (---.genesco.com)
Date: July 02, 2015 12:22PM

Jim,

What about up around the guide ring?

Date: July 02, 2015 12:43PM

You can also try a hand rest any short piece of blank will work Just to steady your hand

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 02, 2015 01:03PM

200 rpms and a moveable hand rest, perfect everytime.

Pat Barnard

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2015 07:02PM

A sharply folded paper towel, wet but not dripping wet with denatured alcohol held partially wrapped around the blank and then slid into position also results in beautifully sharp edges.

At least that's what I've found easiest for me.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 03, 2015 10:47AM

No tape as Tom says.
I like to end my finish on the thread and not on the blank. I use a medium head round ball stylus to do this whils I rotate by hand.
If a customer wants finish to overlap onto blank I use the same stylus but touch the blank and last thread wrab at same time while rotating by hand.
To remove finish and create a straight line I use unwaxed dental floss. To do under the guides I use the dental wax with a dental wax threader.
Herb

Date: July 03, 2015 11:39AM

If you don't go onto the blank just a little you risk water getting under the threads

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 03, 2015 12:52PM

Excuse me for my ignorance Herb, but r you talking a ball point pen? Can you explain how you finish an edge with a piece of floss? thanks

Date: July 03, 2015 07:27PM

Bill C,
No not a ball point pen. A ball stylus see link [www.etsy.com]

Re floss: if I do get some finish on the blank - I remove it with un-waxed dental floss by rotating the blank while holding the floss tight to the wraps. Sometimes I apply DNA to the floss to better remove finish. If I want finish on the blank but it is ragged I hold the floss against the blank while it rotates - but away from the wraps to even out the finish. I find it better than a coffee filter which will often deposit small paper filaments.

Bill B,
I have never had issues with water. Of course I only use titanium frames. But if I had water seeping under wraps there would be some sort of discoloration. maybe it is because I only build fly rods and they flex differently than conventional rods and the fly guides probably flex with the blank more. At any rate it is not an issue for me.
Herb

Date: July 03, 2015 08:05PM

Ti guides will get expensive on freshwater rods No need and a wast of money IMHO

Bill - willierods.com

Date: July 03, 2015 08:14PM

Bill,
I only build saltwater fly rods - need Ti
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster