I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Horrocks-Ibbotson Bamboo restoration
Posted by: Terry Martin (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 01, 2015 10:24PM

I have a Horrocks-Ibbotson 9 foot 3 piece Govenor Bamboo fly rod

I am missing several eyes and want to replace them. Can I get replacements? or should I just use standard snake and stripping eyes?

I want ot know what threat to use to replace the eyes. It has red on there now. I dont know if I match the thread, any comments on this? should I redo all eyes to make it match? Or just use what ever I can find?

I have a male ferrule on the top section that is split. How do I get the old one off? where can I get a new ferrule?

Thanks fo any help

Terry Martin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Horrocks-Ibbotson Bamboo restoration
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: July 02, 2015 08:28AM

New ferrules - Angler's Roost (on the left). I'd replace all the guides with new black / black chrome - several sponsors on the left have them including Angler's Workshop who also carry a nice variety of silk thread. If you want to go "original" Pearsall's thread will work very well. I think it would look best with original red with thin black trim rings.

Date: July 02, 2015 03:03PM

thanks

I will get that from them

Posted by: Matt Lubaway (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2015 09:46PM

Hi Terry,

Many year since I posted anything here. My buddy Rod Churchward asked me to post advise I previously gave to him (I-H rod is one of my favorite first restores).

It looks like you are on your way for the guides.
I like to use light Wire Snake guides, since they are closer to the "original" when I put them side by side. Pac Pay has chrome or black. For an upgrade "Snake Brand" are good but cost more.
For stripper guides, look for arcane agate guides, your rod probably had glass or creaming so agate is an upgrade, but worth it.

If you plan to strip the old varnish ...
I've tried many methods over the years, stripper, Formby’s denatured alcohol, acetone. Here is what I do for bamboo remove varnish from bamboo

First, carefully cut and peel away thread and guides.
Second, scrape using cabinet grade high carbon steel scraper or single edge razor blade. (Hand Scraper) WEAR LEATHER GLOVES!
1. Lay your rod on a firm flat surface (garage floor or wood-worker bench)
2. Firmly anchor the rod
3. Keep you blade perfectly parallel about and angle facing away
4. Apply force and firmly draw blade away from you
5. Varnish will fly off
Finally, in well-ventilated area, rub firmly with Acetone. WEAR CHEMICAL RESISTANT GLOVES!
1. I use old t-shirts (most other cloths does not work well
2. Acetone dissolve the old varnish, but DOES not completely remove it
3. You have a beautiful honey color original style finish ready for your new stuff.

For original type finish, I use my version of an old ‘Coach Varnish’ formula.
Spar varnish 60%
Tung Oil 20%
Turpentine 20%
It takes a LONG time to dry but you can polish it easily after it dries with a soft cloth to a beautiful shine.

Matt

[mattlubaway.com]

Date: July 14, 2015 11:42AM

Matt

thanks.. this is great info. I do apprecialte your advise

I do have one question about the guides. this rod must have been worked on before, In the middle section has all agate or glass striping guides and the top section has snake guides. I was trying to figure out how this rod was setup originally. Did it have one striping quide in the first section and the rest used snake guides?

also I have one ferrule that is bad. do you have a source for those?

Thanks

terry

Posted by: Matt Lubaway (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2015 09:45PM

Terry,

If this is a H-I Governor only the first (Butt) guide should be glass or agate. So I think you are correct the improper substitution were made. I would stick with the chrome light wire snake guides, but use at least one size larger than the original to accommodate newer fly line (unless you intend to use silk fly line).
Winding thread should be Red with black accents, but their better rods used Gold with black accents. Pears all Gold would be a good color match with out color preserver.

Also what is the measurement of the sections are they all equal? What is the total length. I can help you figure out what weight rod it was supposed to be.

Ferrules, you can try The Anglers Roost. The chrome one are close to what were on your rod, You have to get the size correct so make your measurements. The nickel-silver sets are considerably better than the original ferrules. But use then is this restoration is just for you.

Age wise I can tell more if I hade pictures of the Logo on the rod and the "signature" labels, too.

Matt Lubaway

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster