I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod support wheels?
Posted by: Adam Lathrop (141.197.2.---)
Date: July 01, 2015 09:51AM

I've built my own hand wrapper that will also be my dryer setup. I like the smoothnes of the ball bearing wheel setups on some of the power wrappers. Anyone found a good source for the wheels?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod support wheels?
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 01, 2015 11:10AM

I have used the nylon rollers from a trashed sliding glass shower door. They have ball bearings and a groove around their circumference which nicely accepts a slightly undersized O-ring, which eliminates scratching and marking.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2015 11:14AM

Adam,
You have several possible sources.

1. Skate board bearings work very well, but one normally has to put a piece of tape on the blank where the rod will rest to avoid scratching the blank from the bare wheels.
2. Skate board bearings with a flat O ring on them to avoid scratching. One can get O rings of this sort from plumbing sections of hardware stores. Skate board bearings are very inexpensive - but high quality due to the millions of bearings sold every year for skate boards. Just check the internet.

3. Patio or shower door rollers. Typically nylon for shower doors and metal for patio doors. These rollers work very well and normally have a groove in the outer surface that lets the roller stay on the track at the bottom of the respective doors. Again, one can find O rings that fit nicely over the rollers and fit tightly into the groove of the roller.
Again, you can check the internet @#$%& sites as well as places like Amazon to find reasonably priced rollers. You can often find package deals on the rollers and or bearings if you buy them a dozen at a time.

4. Check your local surplus stores, if you live in a larger city. You never know what you might find in a surplus store and I have run across perfect rollers at a local store. If you can find the rollers at a surplus store, you can often find them for 25 or 50 cents a roller, compared to the common 2-5` $$ you might have to pay for commercial new rollers.

Good luck

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2015 11:21AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

These rests were made using shower door rollers with O rings on them.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
These rests were made using skate board bearings. It is a very solid rest that I use with my full length rod lathe when turning grips with the cork glued to the blank. I always put a couple of tape wraps on the blank when using this rest to protect the blank.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
This rest was made using skate board bearings. There is a O ring on the roller that is flat on one side and grooved on the outside. Then, there is a 2nd O ring that fits in the groove of the first O ring. I obtained these rollers in a trade and have no idea of the source of the unique O rings on the bearings.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2015 01:45PM

I have used aircraft cable pulley wheels for years. Check with some aircraft supply stores. I was lucky and found mine at the Boeing surplus store about 35 miles from where I live.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 01, 2015 02:00PM

Air craft units will work great , but if you don't get them at a very great discount [ $$$$$ ] every thing in the air craft business cost X2 to X4 what it is worth GOV. regs cause it ,

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 01, 2015 04:45PM

The small roller wheels used on the power wrappers can be found here:
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2015 08:46PM

Adam Unhide your email addy for info

Posted by: Adam Lathrop (141.197.12.---)
Date: July 02, 2015 07:22AM

Done and thanks for all the info guys.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 05, 2015 08:58PM

Adam Did you receive my Email?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster