I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

DR1024-MHX downrigger rod
Posted by: Gordon Cockburn (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: July 01, 2015 09:51AM

I am building a two piece downrigger rod for my six year old granddaughter to use on her fathers boat. Two questions. I am using a spiral wrap for the eyes and have read that when using a downrigger they are side dependant, and the spiral should always be on the side that faces the stern. That is for the port side, the spiral would be ccw and for use on the starboard side the should be cw. Any personal experiences with this? Second question. Do you need to make a line up mark on the butt and tip sections, and if so what might be a way to do this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DR1024-MHX downrigger rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 01, 2015 10:19AM

I'm not sure why they'd be side dependent. Any pull on the rod will bend it in the direction of pull, not which side your spiral transition guides are on. With enough pull, the lever arm effect of the guides will cause the rod to turn so that the guides on the underside of the rod are in line with the direction of pull. Do you have any information from folks doing this type fishing that would be based on any actual experiences to the contrary?

Most will spiral the guides to the same side as the reel handle, which they feel better accommodates lying the rods on the boat deck or for transport. I am assuming, of course, that these rods will be outfitted with level wind reels, otherwise a different piece of criteria may come into play.

Date: July 01, 2015 10:45AM

Yes it will be a level wind, last thing l want is to have one of my grandkids turned off fishing because of bleeding knuckles from a knuckle buster. Single action reels will come later.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 01, 2015 01:24PM

Not many single action reels left, but there are man non-level wind reels (which do have anti-reverse) and which do require that you stack line back on the reel by hand. In these instances the dominant hand of the user plays a role in which side to spiral to.

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2015 10:23PM

I build a bunch of downrigger rods. There is absolutely zero difference in which side you place the transition.

Date: July 01, 2015 11:49PM

Tony Childs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I build a bunch of downrigger rods. There is
> absolutely zero difference in which side you place
> the transition.

Great, l won't concern myself with that aspect then. How about when you put the top section into the butt section, l want her to get it lined up properly when putting it together. How do you put marks on the rod as line up marks, and have it look like it is indended to be there?

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.alpena.speednetllc.com)
Date: July 03, 2015 08:08PM

I have done some rods with just using a gold dot (paint pen) on each piece of the blank. On the female, I just run the finish from the wrap over the dot, the male just dab a dot of finish over it.

Date: July 03, 2015 10:50PM

That sounds like the way to go. One more question. Do you mark the wrap before the first coat of finish, or should l wait until the first coat is dry and then paint on the finish before the second coat?

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.alpena.speednetllc.com)
Date: July 05, 2015 09:41PM

I put the dot on the blank edge not on the thread.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: July 06, 2015 01:24AM

When I put dots it's one coat finish, then the dot and another coat of finish (otherwhise the ink can blend in the thread).

Date: July 07, 2015 12:51AM

Eric MONTACLAIR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I put dots it's one coat finish, then the dot
> and another coat of finish (otherwhise the ink can
> blend in the thread).

I did a dry run, wrapped a dowel, and put adrop of paint on it, within 10 seconds, an 1/16th circle turned into a 3/16th line. I'll put a lite coat of finish on it and then a second the next day. Thank you

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster