I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji KDPS with lock nut ?
Posted by: marty mulcairn (---.bb.sky.com)
Date: June 29, 2015 04:27PM

I'm using the Fuji KDPS hood on a new build, and wondered if anyone has ever managed to use a Fuji lock nut in conjunction with it?

The rod is a heavy spin, and my customer has specifically requested the above, as he's had issues with the KDPS hood slackening off after prolonged use.

Ive scratched my head almost all afternoon trying to formulate a way to do it, but i just cant fathom a way of doing it.

Is there one ?

(ive got the will, just need the way!)

W.V.A. Custom Rods
UK

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji KDPS with lock nut ?
Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2015 11:19PM

Never used a fuji lock nut but off the top of my head id start out with something like this

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Keep the kdps open on the end and leave the threaded barrel exposed just enough for the lock nut to go on. Then you'll have to turn a piece of cork/eva or use a winding check to finish the end of the thread barrel.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 30, 2015 07:26AM

Maybe this will work
[www.fujitackle.eu]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 30, 2015 07:36AM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe this will work
> [www.fujitackle.eu]

they are the lock nuts i have Bill, but i cant think of as way to incorporate it with a fuji kdps hood to hide the threaded bit of the reel seat!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 30, 2015 08:13AM

I guess you can put the reel on with the KDPS and then check how much you can trim off it to fit the lock nut and cover the threads In order to get the seat off the nut will have to come completely off the seat then undoing the KDPS
If you put a winding check in front of the seat make sure the nut will clear it
something like Matt showed you

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2015 08:27AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 30, 2015 03:25PM

Part # LOK/AN is a variation of the new BACK STOP™ Lock Nut system that is made as a thread cover. It includes a newly designed graphite/nylon hood so the KDPS will be of no use if you go this way. It is primarily designed for new PTS and TVS seats, but it should work in other applications as well. It is not as long as the KDPS so you will need cork or EVA cover # BGKS.

Fuji has expanded BACK STOP™ for all kinds of applications and for new TVS and PTS reel seats, but they have also introduced products for traditional metal hoods. It's a great system, using a floating ring to butt against the back of the hood which makes the whole assembly get tighter when it tries to loosen. We'll be adding details after the show.

Date: June 30, 2015 03:38PM

Jim Ising Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Part # LOK/AN is a variation of the new BACK
> STOP™ Lock Nut system that is made as a thread
> cover. It includes a newly designed graphite/nylon
> hood so the KDPS will be of no use if you go this
> way. It is primarily designed for new PTS and TVS
> seats, but it should work in other applications as
> well. It is not as long as the KDPS so you will
> need cork or EVA cover # BGKS.
>
> Fuji has expanded BACK STOP™ for all kinds of
> applications and for new TVS and PTS reel seats,
> but they have also introduced products for
> traditional metal hoods. It's a great system,
> using a floating ring to butt against the back of
> the hood which makes the whole assembly get
> tighter when it tries to loosen. We'll be adding
> details after the show.

Jim i can find no information on this new Fuji LOK/AN part.... ?
Can you pm me a link or any info - sounds like its just what i'm looking for! (but i'm in a bit of a hurry - sat on an order!)

cheers
marty

W.V.A. Custom Rods
UK

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 30, 2015 07:58PM

Jim is this what your talking about
[www.anglersworkshop.com]

Arent those just another variation of the kdps thats specific to the hoods for the new tvs/pts? How would they finish the end of the thread barrel any different than the kdps? Will the new hoods work on an older style fuji seat (ie DPSM16)? Unless I'm missing something, and it wouldnt be the first time LOL, you'd still need to finish the end of the barrel with a winding check(like a forecast no foregrip aluminum check) or turn a piece of rubberized cork or eva the same dia as the smallest part of the barrel o.d

Matt

Edit, sorry the link only takes you to fuji spinning reel seats, click on tvs seat at top right

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2015 08:00PM by Matt Ruggie.

Date: July 01, 2015 11:03AM

Thats the big question - will the collar on the new LOK 16/AN and LOK 17/AN fit the standard (dps type) fuji hoods, or just the tvs/pts hood?

My Fuji supplier can get them, but i dont want to find they are tvs/pts reel seat specific!

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 01, 2015 04:08PM

OK gentlemen I have opened a bucket of snakes here. The LOK/AN must butt against the hood PTSJ/ASH. Sorry about that. The Lock Nut must seat against a certain hood and it's not the KDPS. PLUS, LOK/AN is a double channel piece that won't fit any other hood. The spinning version of the same piece will fit any threaded barrel but the new hood has a hump that doesn't look great with some seats. The number on that is the same for the locking piece - LOK/AN, but the spinning hood it fits (with one channel) is TVSJ16 or 17.
I have uploaded the PTS, TVS flyer showing all the hood configurations. Very sorry if I misled anyone...we are still learning the BACK STOP system along with everyone else.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Marty, there is a BACK STOP for traditional metal hoods but it's not the thread cover version. It's part LOG1R and we have it in 16, 17, 18, 22 and 24. I wouldn't use the LOK/AN and TVSJ combo on a DPS, although it would fit. The hump looks odd on a regular pipe seat.

Date: July 01, 2015 06:17PM

Thanks for clearing it up Jim.

Basically the LOK/AN is designed to be used with the tvs/pts screw hoods.

I was hoping it was a LOG1R built into a sleeve.

Never mind, will tell my customer he can have a hidden thread without a lock nut, or a lock nut but exposed thread

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster