I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ALPS Power Wrapper - dryer motor?
Posted by: Preston Quan (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: June 28, 2015 11:18PM

Hi Everyone,

I recently wrapped a rod and used the wrapping motor on my ALPS Power Wrapper to apply the finish...switched it over to the dryer mode and to my surprise it didn't work. I've only used this wrapper for about 8 rods.

Any idea if the American Tackle / Pac Bay dryer motor will work on the ALPS?

Thanks in advance,
Preston
Toronto

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ALPS Power Wrapper - dryer motor?
Posted by: Rod Components USA (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 29, 2015 07:50AM

yes... they are all interchangeable

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: June 29, 2015 07:51AM

There is a seperate drier motor and you have to move the belt from the 'lathe' or wrapper motor to the drier motor.

In other words, you do not just throw the switch to drier mode, you have to put the belt from the headstock onto the little motor off to the side. It very silent and you may not even hear it running when you engage that mode.
Well on my model anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2015 07:53AM by Lou Auret.

Posted by: Preston Quan (---.tdbank.ca)
Date: June 29, 2015 11:23AM

Yup. Well aware of that. The motor is not working at all. Sounds like I'll be good with a PB/ATC motor. Glad there's a replacement available but not happy with the durability of the OEM motor.

Thankfully I was able to use the finishing motor to dry the rod. Was rotating around 20-30 (sometimes jerky) RPM but the finish turned out okay.

Thanks for the replies.

Preston

Lou Auret Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a seperate drier motor and you have to
> move the belt from the 'lathe' or wrapper motor to
> the drier motor.
>
> In other words, you do not just throw the switch
> to drier mode, you have to put the belt from the
> headstock onto the little motor off to the side.
> It very silent and you may not even hear it
> running when you engage that mode.
> Well on my model anyway.

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 29, 2015 12:56PM

You could call into our office and speak with warranty. They will help get it fixed.

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2015 02:36PM

Preston,
Before you get concerned that you have a bad motor, probe the voltage that is going to the motor, with the dryer switch turned on.

My guess is that there was a manufacturing build issue that caused an early wiring failure with your wrapper. Just use needle probe tips, which will pierce the wire insulation going to the dryer motor. Check for voltage with the dryer plugged in, and the dryer switch turned on. If you have no voltage at the motor, start going backwards to the AC source to see where the problem exists.

It may be a connection, a bad section of wire, or a bad switch.

Check for good voltage at the motor, before ordering another motor.

Normally, there timing motors are good for years and years of constant operation.

Be safe

Date: June 29, 2015 08:21PM

Thanks everyone. I fiddled a lot with the wires, speed knob, etc and of course...after I finished a rod last night...the dryer motor is now working!?

Cheers,
Preston

Date: June 29, 2015 08:21PM

Thanks everyone. I fiddled a lot with the wires, speed knob, etc and of course...after I finished a rod last night...the dryer motor is now working!?

Cheers,
Preston

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 30, 2015 11:34AM

Preston,
You need to know why the dryer motor was not working and why it is working now.

Since you said that you "fiddled a lot with the wires", did you actually find a wire with a poor splice or connection?

I suspect that you did find a loose connection. But, if you can not say that you did a specific thing to fix the motor issue, the problem may come up again, when the dryer motor has been turning for a while and when you are out of the room to not observe the motor stopping.

You need to know the specific cause of the dryer motor not working and that you have a positive fix for the issue. Otherwise, if the motor quits due to the problem not being fully resolved, the problem may pop up again when you are not around to remedy the drying rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 30, 2015 03:26PM

Roger hit it on the head, try to figure out where the problem is, so it wont happen when you are not there , an you have to do it all over again, any handy man you know should be able to help you find the problem I think

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 30, 2015 04:01PM

If the rod stops and the finish sags It is not any fun sanding off sags and then recoating Been there

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster