I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Solid titanium frame or Ti plated?
Posted by: Todd Theodore (---.fuse.net)
Date: June 28, 2015 10:29AM

I'm still trying to make absolutely sure that some guides I have are solid titanium framed because I want to sell. I know they're solid because I've never bought any Ti plated guides. But, how does someone know I'm telling the truth.
I've used the magnet test on them. The solid Ti shows no reaction. On some known stainless guides the reaction is instantly strong. However, on some black framed guides, I'm assuming are stainless, there are some that react and some that don't. So, my first question is (because I don't remember): did Fuji make a solid titanium guide in black? If not, is it the black coating that makes some of the guides react and some not? And, does the same hold true for the Ti plated guides? Or, do they react as the stainless guides do?
Anyway, any insight is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Solid titanium frame or Ti plated?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2015 10:45AM

[www.cartech.com]

[en.wikipedia.org]

[en.wikipedia.org]

As the articles point out, the magnetic properties of either material is not a good indicator as to the composition of the material being tested.

Be safe

Date: June 28, 2015 11:24AM

Then, there is no way to tell what you got. Een a Fuji tech told me the magnet test is really the only way to tell. But, I didn't ask about plating.
Some I know are solid titanium because I never used them and they still had a label on them and they don't react to magnet. Others I know are stainless and they do. So, that seems to be a pretty good test.

Does anyone have any Fuji weight charts? That may be the only way to tell.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 28, 2015 12:45PM

if you file the foot points down a little such as when prepping the feet. You should be able to tell what is plated as the color of the metals will change as you file through the plating into the base metal

Date: June 28, 2015 01:22PM

That's a good idea. If it exposes enough material which it should. I'll give it a try.

Posted by: Robert Tanner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 28, 2015 02:25PM

I x2 what Steve said.........

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 28, 2015 07:05PM

If you bought titanium guides, they are some alloy of titanium. I really don't think any guide supplier sells a guide which is 100% titanium. Suppliers, if you do, chime in here. Because every design/product decision is a trade-off, different alloys are chosen by suppliers depending on what their idea of the right trade-off is. The magnet test is meaningless. But I really doubt if any guide sold as titanium is not bullet proof regarding corrosion or mass.

To me, if you bought titanium guides, you bought titanium guides. If you do not remember any mention of Ti plating, and the guides were unusually expensive, then you bought Ti alloy guides.

Regarding proving to your customers you put Ti guides on their rod, I think they have to trust you, and you have to make sure in your mind that their trust is well placed.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 28, 2015 08:33PM

The biggest benefit in titanium [alloy] frames is that they are absolutely impervious to oxidation/rust - a great benefit in salt water, not nearly so important in fresh water. The only guides I am certain about being "solid" titanium [NiTi alloy] are marketed by Recoil. They will not rust or take a set.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 28, 2015 10:17PM

Well I'm a retired metal Finisher for the aerospace industries. It is very well known in my field that titanium has a very Bright {White} Spark. Not blue or yellow. You can goggle also if you would like. Hit the bottom of the guide foot on a hard grinding wheel and you will see. Jaa

Date: June 29, 2015 03:28PM

Phil, please clarify what you mean about "solid titanium." You must not be using solid to mean 100% Ti, right?

Jay, would the plating of a Ti plated SS guide give a white spark and the material under the plating add blue or yellow?

Date: June 29, 2015 05:43PM

Michael: I'm trying to guess what others mean when they speak of "solid titanium" guides. My impression is that they envision a guide frame which is not plated but composed of the same metal throughout. I am not aware of any guide frames composed of 100% un-alloyed titanium, although such frames may exist. My experience has been with guides composed entirely of a nickel-titanium alloy. Plated metals to some degree suffer the same problems as painted metals.

Date: June 29, 2015 05:43PM

Michael: I'm trying to guess what others mean when they speak of "solid titanium" guides. My impression is that they envision a guide frame which is not plated but composed of the same metal throughout. I am not aware of any guide frames composed of 100% un-alloyed titanium, although such frames may exist. My experience has been with guides composed entirely of a nickel-titanium alloy. Plated metals to some degree suffer the same problems as painted metals.

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 29, 2015 08:17PM

Mike I can confirm that American-Tackle Titan, guides spark white. I had 1 extra from a build that I just hit on the grinder to confirm that. I unfortunately don't have a so called plated one, But I would say no, As the titanium coating would be measured in a millionth of an inch as far as coating thickness goes, They just don't give this stuff away, But a millionth of an inch would still provide super Corrosion resistance as in fresh water. Now I pulled my Metal Finishers Digest which is the Bible for all Plating all metal coatings this is what I found, {Titanium is a very active metal which cannot be electroplated (out of a conventional aqueous bath). Cladding is a physical process where a skin of titanium is mechanically bonded to the substrate by a vacuum deposited layer of titanium}. This tells me the process is more then likely a vacuum furnace deposited layer of titanium the same that is use on drills and cutting tools not a true plating process. Now when I went to American Tackle web site they list these Titan guides as {Solid Titanium A-Frame Spinning Guides} Now you have to realize there are various grades of Titanium so I would not say any of these guides are going to have the same Grade Titanium that are use for an aircraft engine turbine That is explained here {[gmttitanium.com]} but you have to understand it is still 100% Titanium, Different grades for different applications, some may take more heat but may be very brittle and crack easy some take less heat but are more flexible , Some harder some softer so you can work with it with a hand file. Aircraft turbine grade titanium you are not going to hand file on you will be there all day and maybe remove .005 thousands of an inch. Now I'm just throwing this in as there different grades of stainless steel just like titanium 18-8 being the highest grade here is the make-up of different grades { [www.bosunsupplies.com] } Just remember all these metal are made up of alloys. The stainless link, shows the alloys that make up each grade of stainless such as Chromium % the Nickle% and so on. I hope you can understand it's hard to explain in layman's terms on a web site but I did the best I could. Tight Lines Jaa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2015 11:30PM by Jay Dubay.

Date: June 30, 2015 07:42AM

Thanks Jay and Phil. I noted in my American Tackle catalog that they also call their guides titanium alloy. I also don't believe there is a single guide that is not an alloy. AT is saying, I believe, that their Ti guides are solid, unplated, titanium alloy. I do know that the physical characteristics of different source's "titanium" guides" vary dramatically.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2015 11:00AM

Hi Todd,

Thought I’d weigh in here.

Angler’s Resource should be able to tell you what was made in titanium frames and what wasn’t. Both their titanium and Ti coated frames can look similar in color and sheen which tends to be bright or “titanium” looking. I cannot speak for Fuji but I don’t remember them offering titanium frames with back finish. Although you can deposition titanium frames to have a dark or even black finish, it adds considerable cost to an already expensive product only to look similar to a less expensive product so it doesn’t make sense. I know many of our customers want a raw greyish titanium frame to look the part instead of a highly polished or color-coated frame.

For years some frames have been described as “titanium” that were only Ti coated to give the impression that they were titanium. Fuji was the first for solid titanium ceramic frame guides. We were first to have a comprehensive line of titanium guides but now others have joined in offering titanium guides with some still figuring out how to produce them. A properly Ti coated stainless can look just like titanium and even protect against corrosion like titanium but should not be confused with solid titanium as they can serve different purposes.

We use “solid” as already pointed out, to refer the fact that it is titanium and not a Ti coated stainless frame. Also mentioned is that titanium used for guide frames is an alloy, as 100% pure(if even possible) would not be affordable or likely not survive the stamping, folding and molding of the material during manufacturing. Titanium is also used in various grades of hardness for the very same reasons. Choosing the correct alloy or grades can make all the difference in the process and the end product. For instance we will vary grades for different guide styles/sizes/manufacturing as well as incorporation into the detailed frame design requirements, such as our Ring Lock guides.

Our goal for solid titanium frame guides is to have frames strong enough for the intended rod/line size usage but at the same time be as light weight and flexible as possible allowing each rod(blank) to perform at its best. That flexibility and weight reduction far outweighs the benefits of corrosion proof that titanium is renowned for. Although both titanium and coated stainless frames have their place in pricing and application, we tend to see titanium is an ultimate performance rather than endurance oriented product.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Date: June 30, 2015 09:27PM

thanks, Darrin, I think I'm speaking for others and me in appreciating the comments from a knowledgeable source.

Posted by: Paul Braithwaite (101.175.22.---)
Date: July 01, 2015 02:00AM

Weigh them. Titanium is about 2/3rds the weight of stainless.
Braith

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 01, 2015 04:26PM

No black Titanium from Fuji that we have ever heard of. Darrin is right, the weight is the real boost on any rod although I really like not having to worry about Titanium guides after a day of salt spray.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster