I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cleaning cork after turning
Posted by: Cory Leiman (207.195.86.---)
Date: June 27, 2015 01:05AM

Hello ,a quick question about how some are cleaning and prepping your cork grips after turning.Ive just started to use colored cork accents in some of my cork.I like to seal them with U40 sealer and Thompsons Water Seal. Do you just wipe them down or use compressed air to remove the dust and small particles left from turning. Thanks Cory

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cleaning cork after turning
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2015 07:42AM

It's probably sufficient to blow them off with your own breath. Nothing of any real power is needed. You can also dab them with some masking tape which will tend to pull away any loose debris.

Posted by: Jay McKnight (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 27, 2015 09:09AM

Try washing it in the kitchen sink with warm water and dish soap. You will see a difference.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2015 09:56AM

Cory,
After turning the grip, I use compressed air to blow off the cork. Then, with most of today's cork, fill the cork and then sand it down as needed. Finally do one more compressed air clean off with the grip spinning and am ready to use or fishin with sealer if desired.

If you do the U40 and sealer after filling; then do another very light sanding with fine paper for the final finish.

Be safe

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 27, 2015 12:27PM

After reaming i just blow through the grip to remove anything inside.

For the outside, i might use a slightly damp paper towel. Nothing more. And I do not coat the grip with anything else. I like the feel of cork, no need to cover that up.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 27, 2015 12:51PM

not sure what type of cork you are using, but if it is burnt use old tooth brush,mild dish soap, warn water, do 2 or 3 times , let dry, then do your cork seal if you want .
remember the color will fade over time as the color is only on the outside of cork , not in the cork , [ surface of each small bit of cork only, not in the cork ]

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2015 08:42PM

Use the vacuum cleaner with the little round brush on it or just use any other soft brush while vacumming. If you want it darker use Cork seal.

Posted by: ray balmforth (101.190.10.---)
Date: June 28, 2015 07:16PM

Corey i do exactly as william said use a toothbrush and some warm water.Sometimes especially if you are using a very dark burl the cork takes on a darker shade.
Just give it a quick wash and your cork is nice and clean and ready to seal with what ever you choose to use.

Date: June 29, 2015 06:57AM

Thanks to all for your input on how to clean cork after turning. Cory Leiman

Date: June 29, 2015 06:57AM

Thanks to all for your input on how to clean cork after turning. Cory Leiman

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster