I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

trim ring or hosel for MVT TORAY SEAT
Posted by: sante morrone (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2015 05:35PM

I know fugi makes some for their sk2 series seats but what about for the MVT .. colors?
this will be for a NO fore grip set up...12mm in dia ...

Sante Morrone
the fisherman

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 05:37PM by sante morrone.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: trim ring or hosel for MVT TORAY SEAT
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 26, 2015 07:59PM

Sante
I have used the MVT quite a bit and I assuming that you are referring to the ALPS MVT reel seat. On all of the ones I have built none had a fore grip and I used the ALPS dimpled aluminum winding checks in front of the reel seat. The check depending on the rod diameter may be slightly larger than the end of the MVT but it still looked good and no one has made mention that it was larger. Also it keeps the aluminum nuts from coming off the front of the seat.

Tom

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 26, 2015 08:09PM

check here I am sure you can find something to fit and looks pretty
[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Andrew Clark (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: June 27, 2015 02:23AM

I just did a build with that reel seat. I used this one made by forecast. It looks really good.
[www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: June 27, 2015 11:05AM

I would second the choice that Andrew has given you.

Date: June 27, 2015 11:29AM

Thomas I have to agree that is a good looking check and one I will be ordering

Posted by: Matt Ruggie (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 27, 2015 06:32PM

I do like the batson check shown above and will be using them on a couple upcoming projects, colors are limited tho. I turn small eva or rubberized cork pieces for alot of my personal builds and sometimes use a winding check with it if a little more color is wanted

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 27, 2015 07:33PM

I'd like to jump in with a question for Matt, if I may?

Matt? from looking at the pictures you posted, which look very sweet BTW, it appears as if there may not be any threads exposed once your reel is mounted on the rod. Is that the case? The reason I ask is ....

I'm going to be building a rod shortly, and will not be using a fore grip. Not being a big fan of having my finger rest on the threads of a seat barrel after the reel is installed, I'm planning on cutting the thread barrel down to the smallest length I can get away with. So short in fact, that when I when I need to take the reel off the rod, the nut portion of the hood and fore grip assembly may actually come off the reel seat's, thread barrel. My question is ... how much of a potential problem do you feel, or others feel, could that be as far as the compromising the longevity of the barrel threads?

My guess is none, as long as I'm careful when rethreading the nut onto the barrel. But I sure would hate to ruin a $50+ reel seat, without asking.

Also, for anyone using the MVT reel seat. How comfortable do you find the machined aluminum nuts to be on your fingers? I'd thought of the possibility of using one of the Alps high end foregrip assemblies on the MVT reel seat. I'm thinking the fore grip assembly with the woven graphite would go well with the MVT.

Thoughts?

Oh, and this is a personal build,so changing to a different reel size for this particular rod will not present a problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2015 07:35PM by David Baylor.

Date: June 27, 2015 09:02PM

David
I will try to answer your questions on the MVT reel seat. But I have a few questions too.

You can trim a reel seat as short as you want so long as when you put the reel on you have a full cover of threads under the barrel. I trim a lot of the larger mm spinning seats to get rid of excess threads and down lock the seat to put the threads up front but on a baitcasting reel seat that is the way it is. I just looked at two ALPS seats i have here and one on a rod to see what you are talking about and it appears that you have to be holding it way forward of the reel to be at the threads or even the nuts??

With that said you are dealing here with a carbon fiber seat and not graphite. It might be a good idea to contact Batson to get their input before you start cutting on a reel seat that is as expensive as a MVT.

In the past year I have built at least 12 rods with the MVT seat and my customers all tell me it is the most comfortable seat they have ever held in their hands. As far as the aluminum threads I think they are pretty comfortable but with the ALPS you have choices not offered with other reel seats. For one thing you order the hood separately ! AND this means you don't have to use the ones that come with the MVT. In the photo below are two MVT reel seats one on a rod and the other below. Note the different aluminum locking nuts. The locking nut on the rod is for an Alps Text Touch seat. it has smoother machining and is very comfortable and does a good job of holding the reel. This is my rod so I can tell you from experience.

Hopes this helps and if you have any other questions please ask.

Tom

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: June 27, 2015 09:47PM

You are correct. I have a pet peeve for threads showingLOL. I mount my reels up on the seats and trim the threads that are showing. When i turn the eva/cork "nub" for the end of the thread barrel, i make it so the hood can clear it and be off the reel seat completely. Usually only a few turns are needed to take the reel off so rarely do i need to take the hood completely off the seat. I havent seen any excessive wear on the threads from trimming.

JFYI, I've found that soft touch coated casting seats need alittle break in becuase of the coating. The first time i used one, i mounted the reel, marked, and cut the threads only to find out later(a week or so) that the reel felt alittle loose and i could tighten the nut another turn which exposed a small portion of the threads. Since then i mount the reel on the seat for a couple days before i start the build , once the reel seat takes a "set" i trim the threads. Problem solved !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2015 08:46AM by Matt Ruggie.

Date: June 27, 2015 09:57PM

Does the alps high end fore grip fit the mvt seats?

Date: June 27, 2015 10:22PM

Tom, thank you for the response. It definitely helps, and is very much appreciated.

To answer your question concerning my hand placement when holding a rod and reel. I'm right handed, and use a right hand retrieve reel. Depending on the needs of the bait I'm using, I either cast with my right hand and then switch the rod to my left hand during or after the cast, or as in the case of flipping or pitching, I keep the rod in my left hand the entire time. Regardless of which technique I'm using, when the rod is in my left hand, I always hold it the same way. I completely palm the reel, with all of my fingers in front of the trigger on the reel seat.

Pinky finger against the trigger, ring finger next to it, and my middle finger cupping under and falling squarely on the nut, or partially off the nut in the direction of the fore grip. Index finger is above the rod blank, and under the nose of the reel. I feel this gives me better control of the rod, as well as having my hand in a more powerful position for a hook set, or when fighting a fish. It also makes the wrist position change between flipping and pitching completely effortless.

So that's why I questioned the comfort of knurled locking nuts on the MVT. As you mentioned, I love the fact that the hoods are ordered separately, and that you confirmed what I had assumed that the hoods can be used on other reel seats. The Text Touch nut does look like it would be more comfortable for my situation. I thank you for sharing that.

The interchangeability is something I was counting on when I mentioned the possibility of using one of the Alps hood/ fore grip assemblies I mentioned in my initial post.

[www.utmostenterprises.com]

The woven graphite assembly pictured in the above link would probably go nicely with the woven graphite insert on the MVT. And I will definitely take your advice and contact Batson, or Utmost for their feelings about trimming an MVT seat.

Once again, thanks for responding. I truly appreciate it.

Oh, and concerning the FAWC no fore grip winding check mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere, and hope that Andrew or possibly somebody else can confirm, that regardless of its ID, the OD of that winding check matches the OD of the thread barrel of a size 16 reel seat.

Edit in answer to Matt's post: Don't quote me on this, but from what I understand, the Alps high end assemblies will fit any size 16 reel seat's threads. Regardless of the maunfacturer. I would definitely assume it would fit the MVT or any other Alps size 16 reel seat. If not, it would be an engineering blunder on Alps part.

And evidently you were typing your response as I was typing mine. I'd hate to not thank you for your response. So thank you ....... your response and thoughts are very much appreciated.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2015 02:19AM by David Baylor.

Date: June 28, 2015 10:07AM

david i wasnt sure if those fore grips would work because the new alps seats are double keyed. Are these notched on each side for hood alignment? I havent handled these seats yet, so for those who have used them, any info on this would be appreciated

Thx
Matt

Date: June 28, 2015 05:01PM

Matt, to be honest, I'm not sure either. I have yet to use one of those fore grips. I did some research on Batson's web site, and while the fore grips we're talking about are listed as "Alps High End Hoods", the description provided says they will fit any Forecast reel seat.

The MVT, Textouch, and the split reel seat are all listed as being Alps, reel seats on the web site. The also provide a list of "Reel seat application suggestions" which lists various part numbers of reel seats the high end hoods evidently fit, and none of the aforementioned "Alps" reel seat part numbers are shown in the list.

I'm going to be placing an order with Utmost tomorrow, and I'll call them to see if I can get an answer to that question. As soon as I find out something, I'll be sure to post it here.

Posted by: Robin Barnes (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 28, 2015 05:32PM

If you put the foot of the reel under the hood first then slip into the back of the reel seat, it doesn't go under as far as the hood. I have shaved some barrels down so far I had to do this to get the reel on and off the rod.

Date: June 29, 2015 12:33PM

Matt, and for anyone else that may be interested.

The Alps/Forecast high end hood and fore grip assemblies that were mentioned earlier in this thread, will not fit the Alps MVT, Textouch, or split casting and spinning reel seats. They will however, fit any of the size 16 Forecast reel seats, as well as size 16 Pac Bay reel seats.

Kind of a bummer, but I suppose it's understandable .... at least to some extent. Oh well .....

And BTW, this is the first time I have ever talked to Carol at Utmost, on the phone. She is one very pleasant lady, and I can't say enough about how she has helped me with the orders I have placed in the past with Utmost. They're lucky to have her.

Date: June 29, 2015 02:05PM

Yes carol is great to deal with.

Well that stinks on fitment. I think the 2 would look pretty good together. I have a couple soft touch forecast casting seats here for a couple projects and one will be getting that alps fore grip gonna order one of the new textouch seats with the order. Maybe if the hood portion is removable i can mate the 2 together somehow. We'll see and if it works ill be sure to post here

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster