I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st Fly Rod
Posted by: John Tallyn (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 26, 2015 02:35PM

I have not cast a fly rod for almost 30 years, I,m looking to do some fly fishing for largemouth bass on a lake in Oregon. The locals recommend a 7-8 wt rod for fishing this particular lake. I don't wish to build an expensive rod, at least at this point. My thought had been to build the rod using a rainforrest RX6 8 wt 9' blank. Any recommendations for types of guides, snake or minis, reel seat, butt etc? I'm going to be relearning to cast a fly rod again so would like to keep it pretty basic at the start?

Thanks
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st Fly Rod
Posted by: eric zamora (166.108.251.---)
Date: June 26, 2015 03:22PM

I wrapped an 9'-6" 8wt bass rod on an RX7 blank years ago using a Pac Bay Channel Lock reel seat (CL8) with the F2M-T fighting butt. I also wrapped a 9' 7wt with an RX6. That RX6 should be fine, though i generally prefer my RX7. Will you be fishing in wind on that lake? maybe something faster than an RX6 would be best. I went conventional snake guides. Here's an opportunity to try out Minima guides as strippers. You might want to consider using Minima single foot guides instead of snakes. I went with a simple full wells grip. Largemouth in an Oregon lake sounds GREAT. Have fun!

I rarely fish for bass, the opportunity is rarely there so I generally fish for trout.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2015 10:23PM

Your decision between the 7 and 8wt should be based on how large of a bass bug you want to cast. The 8wt will turn over the bigger stuff much easier. I do a lot of bass fishing with an 8wt, both in Glass and Carbon Fiber. I rarely reach for my 7wts for bass, one reason is many of the waters also hold pike too.

The RX-6 would be okay, but take a look at the Rod Geeks offerings if you want to stay in the same price range as the RX-6. I am a pretty died in the wool CTS guy, they are a bit pricy for some, but the best stuff on the market in my opinion. Rod Geeks stuff is much less expensive, but still a good quality blank, and they offer some pretty nifty colors too.

Guides, Reel Seat, way to many good options, Grip, stick with a 7 inch Full Wells and put a small fighting butt on it.

Posted by: John Tallyn (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2015 11:12AM

Appreciate the help and the info.
Thanks
John

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 29, 2015 06:09PM

My advice....buy the better blank. It won't take long for you to appreciate the difference. Maybe on the first day even. Certainly in the first month assuming you practice.

As mentioned, size of lure determines the weight. In my experience I do better fishing smaller offerings....seems the fish are less wary of them. I get by with a 5 weight at the moment but have used a 7 weight often.

Snake guides stand up better to abuse. Single foot wire guides weigh a little less. Not a deal breaker either way. Pick a reel seat that appeals to you and a grip that fits your hand and casting stroke. The fish won't care.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster