I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting guides
Posted by: Scott Strength (---.sub-70-210-4.myvzw.com)
Date: June 25, 2015 08:25PM

Can I get recommendations on casting blank guides? I'm familiar with fuji sic guides, and know they are good. What are some others? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting guides
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2015 08:35PM

What's the application?

Posted by: Scott Strength (---.sub-70-210-4.myvzw.com)
Date: June 25, 2015 08:56PM

Frog rod for bass.

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 26, 2015 12:34AM

The most advanced casting set up available is with Kigan's Z series. Hydra worked directly with Kigan to develop the stripper and 2nd guide to compensate for line height off the reel and not having to do it by using a larger ring size.

St Croix recently implemented the entire train on the Avid X series with rave reviews (ZDH5.5, ZDH5, ZD5). We use a modified version with the 2nd guide as the stripper on ALX Rods and have had great success using it (ZDH5, ZD5)

Check out the casting train here: [hydrafishing.com]

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2015 08:19AM

The Fuji Alconite guides are nice. I believe the rings are thinner, and a bit lighter than their SIC, as well.

I've also used a set of American Tackle GBRLC ring lock with Nano Plasma rings that are nice. The nice thing about the nano plasma rings is that you can't get the rings in several different colors. On the set I used I went with gold rings and they really look sweet.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2015 08:47AM

Scott,

You won't find a bad guide for bass rods. Most of my rods have the original Batson mini guides with hard aluminum oxide rings. You'll be hard pressed to find lighter guides out there. Keep in mind that your are fishing for a fish that doesn't make long fast runs, so the heat dissipations properties of the higher end ceramics aren't necessary. My guide selection would change significantly if I were chasing large fast fish in saltwater.

Depending on other build requirements I like features of other designs as well. When the rod is going to be used by someone that is hard on the rod, particularly with good odds of ripping guides off with a rod locker, I like a more substantial foot, and usually look at AmTak guides in that scenario. For musky rods that get guides banged around on the side of the boat, zirconia inserts are a great choice as they are a bit more impact resistant than the other ring materials. If the rod will be fished during conditions where ice may form in the guides, I look for the biggest ring ID I can find for a size class, and that is the Pac Bay Minima. If a specific color combo is needed, then I look to the PVD coated guides either from Batson or AmTak. Kigan's 3-D press capabilities allow them to attach the ring to the frame in ways that others can't, and their brazed tip tops are the best available bar none. For brand recognition and a darn good guide, Fuji is still the standard by which others are measured.

Personally, I have my preferences in guides for sure, Batson/Alps, but I keep an open mind and use what the guide that has the characteristics I'm looking for in a particular build.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 26, 2015 09:58AM

Scott,

I have used the new Fuji Reverse KR Stripper Guide on numerous casting rods and have been very pleased with the performance. I've used the Alconite version of the guide and the Torzite version and have been very happy with the performance. One of the rods was the new Rainshadow Immortal Frog Rod blank and my customer is very please with the performance. As he said, "exactly what I was looking for" ! At the risk giving a plug to Batson, I have also been very impressed with Rainshadow's new Immortal and Eternity 2 blanks. IMHO, They are the pinnacle of quality and performance.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.snfrmi.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: June 27, 2015 11:10PM

Microwave casting guides by American Tackle in titanium (tidal wave) guides would fill the bill.

Microwave casting guides by American Tackle in titanium (tidal wave) guides would fill the bill.

Posted by: Lance Schreckenbach (---.lightspeed.rsbgtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 28, 2015 02:29AM

Scott,
I usually do spiral wraps on my casting rods. I like the Fuji K and KB series guides for runners to the Tip Top. and an RV or LC double footed guides for the stripper (closest guide to reel). I use the RV (#6) guide on rods shorter than 6'10" and for 7'+ I use the LC. This is because of the height of the guide. The taller guide works better when the distance is shorter to the reel. I am trying to achieve the straightest possible line going into the spiral. My set up in ring size is 6, 5, then all 4s. The lighter you can make the rod the more sensitive it will be so I use titanium frames. The ring type really doesn't matter that much despite the hype. Wire framed guides like Recoils, will usually perform just as well with this set up. The lightest ring would be the Fuji Torzite then the Alconite followed by the SIC ring with the Alconite ring giving the most bang for the buck.. I would probably use Kigen or Alps guides if could get the specs for the height to ring size. I am really looking for a size 6 ring and the height to achieve a straight line.
Regards,
Lance

Posted by: Robin Barnes (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 28, 2015 01:20PM

With the a z series single foot guides, how well does a fohran locking wrap work with these?

Posted by: Scott Strength (---.sub-70-210-0.myvzw.com)
Date: June 29, 2015 11:23AM

Thanks for all the feedback! Not as easy as it sounds with all the choices.

Posted by: Ryan McBride (---.wavecable.com)
Date: June 29, 2015 01:02PM

Keith Combs has his signature series frog rods with ALPS guides!! Check them out when you get a chance: www.alpsforecast.com

R. McBride

Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Chris Forslund (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2015 10:50PM

I too like Alps guides. I just did a frog rod on a Rainshadow blank. 10, 8, 6 them 5 micro to the tip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster