I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Suggestions for Surf Rod
Posted by: Kerry Burgess (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 25, 2015 01:35PM

I recently built a 13' pompano spinning rod using Fuji's KW guides and the KT single footed guides (size 10) for my running guides. I took it to Corpus Christie on a fishing trip and it easily cast a 100+ yards. But I often heard my shock leader (50 lb test) knot hitting my running guides. I used several different leader knots and it got better but I think I need to put larger running guides on my new build.

I need a suggestion on running guides that will match up with the KW guides since the KT only goes up to a 10 and I also want to stick with a single foot guide (not the smaller size KW). I want to go to a size 12 or maybe a 16 as Tom suggests. Suggestions/opinions anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Suggestions for Surf Rod
Posted by: Robert Tanner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 25, 2015 02:06PM

I would go with smaller leader like 25 lb.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2015 02:07PM by Robert Tanner.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 25, 2015 02:38PM

You may still hear the knot hitting them as it passes through, but as long as your distance is good you're probably okay. Generally I didn't mind hearing the knot hitting the rings but if I felt a tug or similar as it passed through then I'd upsize the running guides.

Posted by: Kerry Burgess (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 25, 2015 02:48PM

I have on several occasions felt a tug and kind of expected to find a guide missing. That's why I'm looking for a larger guide, but haven't seen anything that matches well. I don't want it to be that obvious that I have two different types of guides on the rod.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 25, 2015 03:12PM

if you can't find what you want change them all just an idea

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: June 25, 2015 04:18PM

Size 12 KW guides should work well for you. Use size A thread and be sparing with the epoxy. Or more appropriate, first tape the guides in place and then test cast.
The running guides on my tournament rods (conventional) are LNAG12 and I have not experienced any problems. Although the mainline is small, the shockleader is 50#.

Regarding your shockleader hitting the guides, there can be two issues.
A short shockleader and blank with a slow response can cause the problems that you are experiencing. Your blank may not have recovered fully before the shockleader knot passes through the running guides.
Changing the guide size and adjusting the shockleader length may alleviate your problems. Increasing the shockleader length may give the blank time to better recover prior to the knot going through the running guides.

Regarding the number of turns the shockleader needs to go around the spool, you will find several recommendations.
For a small conventional reel:
Some will recommend 2 or 3 times around the spool
Tournament casting rules require 5
I had the mainline break at the shockleader with 5 turns and changed to 8 turns
Finally went to 14 turns to reduce noise and the number of breakoffs.

Don

Don Becker

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2015 04:20PM by Donald Becker.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2015 07:24PM

I am using size 10 tip and runners on a 11 foot St Croix Avid surf and it makes little noise even with 60 lb shock leader. I make the knot as small as I can and put some super glue on the tag and also before the knot as a ramp. 4 turns on a spinning reel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2015 07:43PM by David Miller.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 25, 2015 07:58PM

a web site like this may help to find a better knot
[www.animatedknots.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eliseu Cherene (---.petrobras.com.br)
Date: June 29, 2015 05:58AM

Pay atention is a leader of welding [www.pescaki.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2015 08:17AM

If you have a set of all purpose guides ( no slope in the ring ) See if that helps with the knots

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster