I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crankbait blank
Posted by: Joe Coughlin (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: June 24, 2015 09:37PM

I'm thinking of building a crankbait rod on a graphite blank. I throw mostly DT 10s, SK series 5s and some others that dive in the 8-12 ft range. I see that Bushido, MHX, and RX7 have graphite CB blanks so looking for opinions on those or others and and in which model.

Thanks!
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crankbait blank
Posted by: Scott Strength (---.sub-70-197-162.myvzw.com)
Date: June 24, 2015 10:40PM

Hey Joe! Check out Rod Geeks blanks as well. They're in partnership with St. Croix, and helped design them. Great prices as well. I have no experience with them but have one on the way. If They're as good as I've read then They'll be a Great buy. Take care.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2015 07:47AM

Joe, the only one of those blanks I have built on (I've only built 4 rods thus far) is the Rainshadow RX7 crankbait blank. Awesome blank !!! Nice and straight, flawless finish on the blank, very light, and a super smooth action.

I built a 6' rod from a trimmed down CB66MH blank that I use to throw 1.5 and 2.5 square bills, and some fairly large wakebaits and it's perfect for them. I also throw a 3/4 oz. Jackall Giron with it, as well as an 3/4 oz. KVD 8.0 Magnum squarebill with it. It could handle those baits a little better than it does, but I think it being a 6' rod has a lot to do with it. Also, I lost a bit of power by trimming 6" off the butt to obtain the 6' rod length. It truly is a great blank though.

I actually plan on replacing a 7' factory crankbait rod I have with a rod built on an RX7 crankbait blank. When I do that, I'll be using the CB70H blank, simply because I plan on throwing some larger baits than you mentioned.

Based on how this rod I built performs, I have no doubts that the DT10's, Strike King 5's and 5 XDs as well other similarly sized baits would fish beautifully on a Rainshadow CB70MH blank. And even on the CB70H blank that I already mentioned.

It really is a great blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2015 07:49AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2015 08:00AM

Joe,

I use the Swampland Rich Forhan Legacy Elite 765 trimmed to 7'. I took about 1/4" off of the tip and the rest from the butt. If you are willing to give glass a try, you won't regret it. Another glass blank worth a good look is the Lamiglas MB 84 1E.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2015 08:26AM

for what you are throwing you will love the Bushido CB72/10-20. Bushido blanks are SUPER STRONG!

if you are ever looking for a blank to throw the bigger cranks like the DD22 or 10XD we have a new blank that was designed specifically for those... the CB710/15-30.

If you have any questions about any American Tackle components please do not hesitate to call 800-516-1750

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 25, 2015 08:53AM

I have the lighter Bushido CB rod (CB68/6-12)and the heavy magbass rod, (MB68/12-20) both very nice. I think Bushidos are not fully appreciated, a lot of performance there at a great price.

I have no experience with the other blanks.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2015 10:13AM

Joe,
MHX has crank bait models available in Graphite, Composite & fiberglass. All with very specific applications listed. There is a model for virtually any cranking application.
[www.mudhole.com]
[www.mudhole.com]
[www.mudhole.com]

If you have any questions about specific applications please feel free to contact us here at Mud Hole.

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster