I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RodGeeks
Posted by: Scott Strength (---.genesco.com)
Date: June 24, 2015 02:51PM

Does anyone have fishing experience with the RodGeeks blanks? How do they fish? What would you compare it to? I've not been able to find much info on how they actually fish. Most threads talk about all the colors avail. and not much about the actual application. I've ordered a 7'3" sc4 Heavy action Fast tip for fishing frogs. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks All!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RodGeeks
Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: June 24, 2015 03:53PM

Great blank for that application, picked mine up a month or 2 ago. I've got a bit of time in the field with their blanks for a wide range of bass applications and you will be happy with the purchase.

Can you hear the braid singing on your new frog rod yet?..... Have fun!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2015 03:54PM by Adam Curtis.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 24, 2015 04:11PM

Hi Scott,

I have built on many of the models, C2SW, C4, SG79HM, SG70MHM, prototype musky series and the XC prototype. The owners love them. I like the SG79HM for 6-8 oz sinkers that I trimmed. These are being used all around Long Island in shallow and deep waters under varied conditions. They work!!! The are sensitive, light weight and load up just fine. Go for it!

Hope this helps.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.172.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 24, 2015 05:46PM

Blanks are designed by St. Croix, since the RODGeeks are joined with them. My understanding is the RODGeeks blanks are built with the St. Croix SCII and SC IV graphite/technology.

Posted by: Scott Strength (---.sub-70-197-162.myvzw.com)
Date: June 24, 2015 08:27PM

Thanks Adam!
Thanks Capn.
Thanks Blair! I had read that. Just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with them.

Date: June 24, 2015 09:34PM

Hi Scott,

Either call or email RODgeeks and they will get the answer for you.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Scott Strength (---.sub-70-197-162.myvzw.com)
Date: June 24, 2015 10:31PM

Thanks Capn! I went ahead and ordered one. I'll know soon enough.????

Date: June 24, 2015 11:26PM

Hi Scott,
I have no idea what a frog rod is all about as I only fish salt water.

Just checked and I have the C470HF in stock. I hang sinkers on the tips of all the models I stock to find the sweet spot for fishing bottom. This blank I like for 4-6 oz sinkers and if I trimmed the tip an 11/2" or so it would handle 8 oz load.

It will make a nice fluke, sea bass and porgy rod.

These new carbon fiber blanks with very small tips never cease to amaze me regarding how much lead the tips can handle.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Scott Strength (---.sub-70-210-4.myvzw.com)
Date: June 25, 2015 08:14PM

Thanks again, Captain! If I lived that close to saltwater I'd fish it too. Have some friends in Long Island.

Posted by: Joe Johnson (76.8.209.---)
Date: June 26, 2015 04:44PM

Scott,

I've built 7 rods on the carbon 2 and 4 and they are great blanks. I've built 2 drop shot rods on the C4610MXF for clients. Both rave about the sensitivity. I built a flipping stick on the C276HMF for a client and he loves it. He's used it everywhere from Lake Powell to Clear Lake and done extremely well with it.

My personal favorite is the C473MHXS that I use for throwing finesse jigs and drop shotting. I built it as a casting model with the Fuji sk seet and minimalist design and it's phenomenal for light biting, hard fighting smallmouth.

I also have the C270MHF for my personal use and it's an extremely versatile rod that I use for everything from jigs to small swimbaits, to spinnerbaits and Texas rigs. It's a great value and quality/weight/sensitivity is topshelf.

Just my 2cents

Posted by: Scott Strength (---.genesco.com)
Date: July 01, 2015 11:16AM

Thanks All! Just received the blank yesterday, and am impressed. Especially for the money. Now back to building.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster