I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sort of Rod Building Related-Computer Software
Posted by: Scott Cmelik (210.207.168.---)
Date: June 21, 2015 11:19PM

Does anyone here run strictly Mac computers like I do? I do not want and refuse to buy a Windows machine because I have no use for it, however I would really like to start using @#$%& so I can stop using other people patterns and begging people to build patterns for me. Does anyone have any suggestions based on what they use, or know of a good emulator to use so I can run the software?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sort of Rod Building Related-Computer Software
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: June 21, 2015 11:36PM

They have windows programs that you can run on a mac

Ron Weber

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: June 22, 2015 12:20AM

$$$$$

Why not just install a Windows partition on your Mac that has the greatest throughput.

You would need to buy a copy of Windows 7 or 8.

The fastest approach may be to take your computer to your nearest Apple store.

Mac is set up to install the Windows operating system.

If you are a computer capable person, here's how it is done.

[www.youtube.com]

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2015 10:35AM

Scott,

Please remember, that running Windows on a Mac, which you can do, isn't going to make the Windows OS run like the Mac OS. In other words, Windows will be just as buggy and problematic on the Mac as it is on a regular PC.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: June 22, 2015 10:44AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Scott,
>
> Please remember, that running Windows on a Mac,
> which you can do, isn't going to make the Windows
> OS run like the Mac OS. In other words, Windows
> will be just as buggy and problematic on the Mac
> as it is on a regular PC.
>
> ...............

Buggy and problematic... Tell that to my co worker who spent 2.5K+ on a tricked out MacBook Pro that has been to the Apple Store 5 times in the past month because it wont wake up from sleeping and has had the operating system re-loaded three times, and can't get a replacement under warranty yet because "all the options to find and solve the problem haven't been exhausted yet" How many times does she need to drive 60 miles one way to the store to get a new one? She hasn't gotten more than 5 hours use out of it since she owned it. Any machine or electronic device can have problems, Apple is not the holy grail apple fanatics would want us to believe it is.

Date: June 22, 2015 10:55AM

The experience of one person isn't proof of inherent defects and problems. If it was then my experience, going back to 1984 with no less than 8 Apple computers and not a single difficulty this far, would prove that the Mac is 100% trouble free. Which it isn't, of course. But overall the Mac OS is far and away more reliable and productive than any Windows system. But that really isn 't the issue here.

My point was simply to inform the original poster that running Windows on a Mac won't make Windows any more reliable than it is on a PC. Some people have done this thinking it will make the Windows OS, more reliable. It won't as it's not a hardware issue.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2015 11:36AM

Scott,

I sent you an email, but for what you are doing, installing Windows natively through Boot Camp is not likely the best option, as you'll need to reboot any time you want to use that one piece of Windows software.

My advice is to look into Wine for OS X. If your software is capable of running with Wine, then there is no need to fiddle with Windows installation through Boot Camp or on a virtual machine.

If that doesn't work, then look into Virtual Box, from Oracle. You do need a Windows installation CD, but VB is free and runs Windows pretty well in a virtual environment. There is paid virtualization software, but those aren't really needed unless you are wanting to play games with intense graphics or running CPU heavy software.

Those are the options available, and it will depend on what software you need to run as to which is the best solution.

John,

I sent a couple tid bits for your friend, and hope she gets her machine repaired/replaced, or figures out the issue. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Posted by: Scott Cmelik (45.74.59.---)
Date: June 22, 2015 12:25PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
> Scott,
>
> Please remember, that running Windows on a Mac,
> which you can do, isn't going to make the Windows
> OS run like the Mac OS. In other words, Windows
> will be just as buggy and problematic on the Mac
> as it is on a regular PC.
>
> ...............

Tom,

That is exactly what I am scared of. The only thing I want the machine to do is to run weave software which at this time I cannot use because I run a Mac. I hate the idea of spending 300-500 bucks on a computer to run one program and that is it, but I also don't like the idea of opening my computer up to problems either.

Joe I got that email, thank you for that. i haven't had a chance to sit down and fully digest it yet but I will tomorrow (hopefully).

Date: June 22, 2015 01:28PM

Scott,

If you need windows just for that software, you can put Windows in a virtual machine and turn off network connectivity to the VM. Nothing gets out and nothing gets in to wreak havoc.

If you run into any roadblocks or have any questions, let me know.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: June 22, 2015 06:16PM

It might be beneficial to review the following article.

[www.zdnet.com]

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-118.net)
Date: June 22, 2015 07:22PM

Joe Vanfossen Wrote:
> Scott,
>
> If you need windows just for that software, you
> can put Windows in a virtual machine and turn off
> network connectivity to the VM. Nothing gets out
> and nothing gets in to wreak havoc.
>
> If you run into any roadblocks or have any
> questions, let me know.

I bought a Dell laptop a few months back with the latest version of Windows. I do not connect it to the internet as we got it for some software the wife needed to run and couldn't or didn't know another way to do it. Here's the thing--- we keep getting pop up windows with special "cloud" and "virus protection" offers. When this happens it shuts down our other program. And......... we're not on the internet or even connected to it! So this means this crap is built INTO the Windows operating system. What the @#$%& is this about??!!

Date: June 22, 2015 08:10PM

Ken,

Microsoft offers cloud storage, just as Apple has iCloud. They will try to get you to use it. The antivirus is an issue to take up with Dell, likewise if the cloud software is branded with a name other than Microsoft, it is an issue to take up with Dell. It is built into the software stack that they install on the machine. If you buy a copy of Windows in a sealed box, it does not come with the bloatware that manufacturers install on the machines. The copies of Windows I run in VM, might give me a reminder from within Windows itself that I am running without antivirus protection, but other than that, I have no issues otherwise. If you want a clean installation of Windows, you need to do it yourself by erasing the hard drive and then installing Windows and only the software you wish to use.

PC manufacturers get paid by software companies to install their useless applications on the manufacturer's machines. Unfortunately, that's the way the business runs. You can buy a whole computer for just a bit more than the cost of a Windows license, but then you have to deal with whatever the manufacturer thinks you might want that will get them a kickback from the software vendors.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.ip-167-114-118.net)
Date: June 22, 2015 08:42PM

Apple may have iCloud but their system doesn't shut down your programs while a company sales pitch takes over your screen. This would be like buying a Samsung TV set and having your TV programs interrupted mid way by built in sales pitches from Samsung. Not advertisements from the cable or TV people, but from inside the TV set!!! What gets me is that they wouldn't understand that anybody buying the system wouldn't be upset by this nonsense. If were using it for a business and had to waste this much time shutting down and rebooting to get rid of the sales pitches we'd just dump it in the trash and move on.

Date: June 22, 2015 09:13PM

No doubt there are plenty of internet forums where folks can debate computer operating systems. Let's stick to the rod building stuff here. Thanks.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (184.151.37.---)
Date: June 27, 2015 07:02AM

I would buy a used Window's PC at the Goodwill or Thrift store and run the weave program on it.
There are millions of older machines and monitors out there for a few dollars.
Laptops with dead batteries are almost free, if you don't need a large screen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2015 07:05AM by Garry Thornton.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster