I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat Syringes
Posted by: Marvin McClendon (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 20, 2015 10:04PM

A simple question needs a simple answer. Rod Building is not my profession, but a serious hobby. So I'm using these FC syringes to measure FC finish/glue. No desire to reinvent the wheel so any suggestions on how to store the syringes after first use. I like neat & tidy but these things are icky & sticky after first use, gotta be a way to store'm. I store them in a piece of cardboard with holes sized to the syringes, any thoughts or suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat Syringes
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2015 10:15PM

Marvin,
Many folks leave the syringe in the bottle. No need to clean them between uses. Put a hole in the top of the bottle and put the syringe in the hole for both use and storage. Just turn the bottle upside down to fill the syringe.

I use a slightly different method.

I use some big containers to hold my finish, so I use an extension on the end of the syringe. Then, I have a larger blank to drop the tubes into for storage. I then drop the larger tubes into a piece of pvc pipe that is mounted in a base for storage.

Simple and easy and no cleaning required.

Be safe

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 20, 2015 11:03PM

I just wipe them clean with a paper towel and store them in a food storage plastic bag.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2015 11:03PM

I just wipe them down with alcohol after use. It may waste a little of each material, but I can store them pretty much anywhere, without worrying about making other things sticky.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2015 11:53PM

Roger. is right on. Drill a 5/32 hole in the cap of each. Syringe should fit snug. always have syringe pulled half way out with air. when ready turn bottle upside down and depress syringe. This will push the air out. Now draw the amount needed. Hands never touch epoxy.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 21, 2015 09:15AM

Now that I understand Roger's idea better through reading Bill's post. I like the idea of drilling a hole through the cap, and filling the syringe by turning the bottle upside down. Little if any waste of material. And the ability to almost completely empty the bottle.

I like it !!!

And little tips like this is just another example of why I find myself saying ........ this place rocks !!!

Posted by: Phil Juhring (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 21, 2015 11:18AM

I use the self sealing caps and just leave the syringes stuck in the cap.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 21, 2015 12:45PM

many ways to skin a cat they all work, the most effective way an cheep est way is drill the top insert the syringe an store in a small box or can so they won't tip over,
clean the drill bit after each drilled hole , I have 2 bottles still going strong after 2 years [ don't build much now ]

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: June 21, 2015 08:50PM

I use the self sealing inserts & leave the syringes in the bottle & when finished the live in a stand that I made secured with spring clips .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.atlanticbb.net)
Date: June 21, 2015 09:22PM

Marvin
I do the same as Roger and Bill. I drill small hole in each bottle cap, insert a syringe in each hole and store them right in the caps. When the syringes and bottle caps get a little sticky i dampen a paper towel with dna and wipe them off. When I open new bottles of finish I just put the old caps and syringes onto the new bottles.
Rog

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: June 22, 2015 08:16AM

If I didn't transport my bottles of finish when I do classes, I would keep them in the bottles just as many people have noted in posts above. Because I do transport them and worry about accidental spillage, I clean them with a paper towel wetted with DNA after each use.

Another advantage to keeping them in the bottle is that if you begin the habit of replacing each syringe just after its use you eliminate the possibility of mixing up the syringes between bottles. If you're like me and use more than one type of epoxy this is even more handy at preventing mixing up the syringes. I use three different finishes and have six syringes - to help keep things from being mixed up, I have a finish tray I made from a board. There's 6 large holes for each bottle of finish and a corresponding smaller hole next to each bottle that holds the matching syringe. When I use a finish, I clean and replace the syringe next to it's bottle before dispensing the next component.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: June 22, 2015 08:39AM

Just a little tip: No matter what syringes you choose to use or how you plan to store them. When they are new & clean put a piece of heavy (packing/strapping) clear tape over the graduations. This will keep the markings clear & not disappear after use.

Posted by: jim jackson (129.81.220.---)
Date: June 22, 2015 08:09PM

I really like the flex coat pumps that fit right on top of the bottles, and turn to close and open. no more syringes for me. just count the pumps of each.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 22, 2015 09:12PM

In years past when I was using West Systems Epoxy - I also liked to use their pumps when dispensing epoxy resin or hardner.

Be safe

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 24, 2015 05:13PM

Self sealing inserts are the answer:
1 - keep the syringe clean when drawing epoxy
2 - allows you to get ALL the epoxy out of the bottle
3 - re-usable on the next bottle of epoxy
4- allows you STORE the syringe when not in use.

One tool we really recommend to rod builders to make life easier!

See the video and order some today at:
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster